Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

89 Dx electrical short help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 PM
HCF Member
Default 89 Dx electrical short help please!

Hi,
I'm trying to diagnose a problem I'm having with my DX Hatchback. I know that it is a problem with the clock/radio/interior light circuit. Affected lights: Trunk light on gauge cluster, dome light, radio.

This testing done while key is in second position:
Whenever the door switch wire actually grounds to something, the clock turns off. I connected the white/blue wire from the radio harness, to a ground, and it also turned the radio off. Dome light doesn't work at all. Basically, with the dome light, when it is in the on position, the trunk light on the gauge cluster dimly illuminates. When it is in the middle position, nothing. When in off position, clock turns on.

Key completely off:
No dome light.
Door switches are GOOD.

I'm stumped. I believe all the symptoms are from one single problem.
How can I troubleshoot this?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The white with blue stripe wire should be live all the time from a fuse under the hood, it feeds the clock and the radio when the key is off (radio needs power while the key is off to retain station memories). I'd have to pull a diagram to figure out the rest, but check that fuse-- it's going to be blown if you've grounded the wire.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:08 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The white with blue stripe wire should be live all the time from a fuse under the hood, it feeds the clock and the radio when the key is off (radio needs power while the key is off to retain station memories). I'd have to pull a diagram to figure out the rest, but check that fuse-- it's going to be blown if you've grounded the wire.
I'll run out and check the fuse.
But would that one fuse really cause so many problems? I believe all the problems are on the same circuit... I couldn't figure it out, I'm not the best when it comes to reading circuit diagrams. Too complicated for me.
I can test anything though, if you're willing to help me. This Civic is going to be pretty clean, it's already pretty nice for a Dx right now.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by zerojett
I'll run out and check the fuse.
But would that one fuse really cause so many problems? I believe all the problems are on the same circuit... I couldn't figure it out, I'm not the best when it comes to reading circuit diagrams. Too complicated for me.
I can test anything though, if you're willing to help me. This Civic is going to be pretty clean, it's already pretty nice for a Dx right now.
Check the fuse and unground the wire. In the future grounding a random wire, especially a hot wire, is a bad idea. Black is almost always a ground wire. It should really be the only wires you need grounded.

I noticed when i hooked my white and blue wire to my stereo, my dome light died. Been meaning to get around to fixing it.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:37 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by tasmanian
Check the fuse and unground the wire. In the future grounding a random wire, especially a hot wire, is a bad idea. Black is almost always a ground wire. It should really be the only wires you need grounded.

I noticed when i hooked my white and blue wire to my stereo, my dome light died. Been meaning to get around to fixing it.
Yeah, in the end, it was a fuse.
I found it odd that a blown fuse caused all sorts of problems. Trunk light turning on, clock being controlled by the dome light switch...
It's like 3:30 am here, surprised someone is awake. xD
Now the last thing to fix is my hood latch cable, then EVERYTHING works!!!!
supah-happy.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by zerojett
Yeah, in the end, it was a fuse.
I found it odd that a blown fuse caused all sorts of problems. Trunk light turning on, clock being controlled by the dome light switch...
It's like 3:30 am here, surprised someone is awake. xD
Now the last thing to fix is my hood latch cable, then EVERYTHING works!!!!
supah-happy.

Dunno the nature of your problem though.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 AM
HCF Member

Interior wiring is just very odd sometimes I guess...

Basically, my hood won't latch.
I can always pull it up, no matter how much I play with the pin.
So, I've got another latch and cable I'm going to install. I just haven't gotten around to it.

That's some damn nice coils of wire though.