Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

89 hatchback starts and dies out

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation 89 hatchback starts and dies out

Hey I found this site while looking for a solution and in the past I've noticed forum sites can be really helpful.
I bought it a couple days ago and its ran fine until now. It starts and runs for about a second and then dies. If i start it and rev it to around 3K i can keep it running for a few more seconds until it dies even with the throttle still pressed down. That only worked twice. Now it wont even turn over but i'm guessing i drained the batt. I was first thinking maybe the EGR. I dont have time to work on it tonight but getting any suggestions will be fantastic.
I've been reading similar problems and some are saying things like weak connections, ECU, EGR, ignition, vacuum, distributor and other things. Thats a lot of things to look at, just wondering if i've offered any symptom to narrow that down.
There's a lot to fix on this car so i will be back lol.
Thanks!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First, charge the battery. Is the engine carbureted or fuel injected? For the latter, check whether the LED in the ECU is blinking a trouble code.

Does the fuel pump prime? Do you have spark?

Last edited by RonJ; 02-09-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 AM
HCF Member

Pretty sure its injection, throttle body? I will check for codes. I can hear the fuel pump prime. When my foot is on the brake it primes slower which i'm guessing means a dead battery. It did have spark before the batt died, i actually haven't opened the hood yet, i'll run through and check for connections and corrosion this afternoon.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

do you have a dx or si
n when u try to turn the ignition to turn over does the cluster lights fade out if they do its a battery

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Once the battery is fully charged, check for spark again. It should be bright white/bluish rather than weak orange at the tip of the plug.

If the fuel pump primes and the spark is bright, then check whether the timing belt skipped a tooth or two.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by whitealexander
well i guess its all there.. just need to ask something are you hearing strange noises when you start the car and while your drove it last time?
Uh, its a pretty old car so pretty much everything rattles lol. It does have low idles but i think thats just from being a tired engine. Other than that i didnt notice anything.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Start it and let it die, then check if the battery and oil lights on the dash come on. If not, it could be the key switch. Sometimes they fail so the ignition is getting power when you have the key on start but not on run.

If it's a manual and has a clutch interlock (I think the '89s did) you can also check the key switch by putting the transmission in neutral and set the brake, press the clutch down and turn the key to start. Then let go of the clutch, but keep holding the key on start. The starter motor should stop but the engine might keep running.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

thanks guys.
I have some new symptoms; Managed to get it started today and got it to idle but it would die as soon as i but the brake on (in neutral and not moving). I'm going to guess that's a vacuum problem?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Maybe a bad brake booster check valve:

Name:  picture_1994.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  36.6 KB

Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

I've changed my mind. It dies if i turn on the headlights or put on the brakes even if i have it revved at 3k. So I'm thinking alternator now. I'll test the checkvalve tomorrow when its light out.

Quick Reply: 89 hatchback starts and dies out