Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'90 DX Won't Crank, Everything Checks OK So Far?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Default '90 DX Won't Crank, Everything Checks OK So Far?

Hey all,
Ran fine, parked, swapped out instrument cluster for one with tach, tried to start, nothing. No ECU code, Lights on dash all on, CEL on for two seconds then off, Fuel pump humming, Fuses all check out, Starter Checks out, Main relay Checks out(replaced to test), Battery Checks out, Clutch safety Switch Checks out, I'm at a loss for what to do next. I drove all day yesterday with no problems. Once I swapped cluster and found it didn't work, I put it all back the way it was, and still the same thing, nothing. Not sure if cluster had anything to do with it or if it was coincidence. Wondering if it may be the ignition switch although there were no indications of it going out. The key is looking pretty worn, and it's the only one I received with the car. Any help is much appreciated.

thanks,

Last edited by wooljen4; 03-17-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There is a fuse for the starter in the under dash fuse box; I'm not sure which one though. The black wire with white stripe, in the 4 wire plug from the key switch to the fuse box, should power up when you turn the key to start. If not, likely a bad key switch.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 AM

All fuses check OK, and there is power to starter fuse under dash when ignition is switched to position III.
I did roll out of the driveway and pop the clutch to get it going. Drove around town and back no problem. Parked in drive and still no start/no crank.
I made an appointment to get it into the local shop Tues. if no dice by then.
Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

How did you test the clutch switch? Unplug it and jump it? There is also a relay associated with the clutch switch (I think, at least a 92 to 95 has one.) If you're getting power to the fuse, but not to the small wire on the starter it would have to be the clutch lockout, there's nothing else in line. Unless there's an aftermarket alarm or kill switch.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Yes on the clutch safety, I haven't heard of a relay for the clutch or switch for this year, but I am checking into it now. No aftermarket alarm, or any alarm for that matter, and yes, there is power to the small wire going to the solenoid when the ignition is turned to position III. I checked the cables, and they're as clear as any that are that old and working that I have seen, and I did clean them more just to make sure. Took the starter in and had it bench tested. Worked fine all 10 times it was tried. Not under a load mind you, but I would expect even a click or something if it was trying in the car.

Last edited by wooljen4; 03-17-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you have power at the small wire on the solenoid, the starter should turn. Check that the connection is secure at the starter. Check the battery cables, especially the grounds. Test the starter in place on the car by jumping the small terminal to the battery +. Make sure it is not in gear and the brake set when you do that. If the starter doesn't turn when you do that, measure the voltage AT THE STARTER from the big terminal to starter ground while you jump the small wire again. If it has voltage and doesn't turn, bad starter.

Last edited by mk378; 03-17-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM

I'm going out to check it all out. I'll get back to you as soon as I finish.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 04:41 PM

Ok,
Volts @ +/- Batt. Term. = 12.47
Jumper from Pos. to small terminal on solenoid = nothing more than a click
voltage @ pos and neg of starter 12.43
voltage @ pos and neg of starter while jumping from pos of bat. to sm. terminal = .30 <--- is this considered voltage?
And this means?

Last edited by wooljen4; 03-17-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You are not getting voltage from the battery to the starter all the time. It could be in the power or the ground side, or the battery itself. Measure at the battery (on the lead posts, not the terminal clamps) while jumping the starter and make sure it stays up. If not, battery is run down or defective.

If battery voltage under load is OK, measure from the battery (-) lead post to starter ground while jumping, this voltage should stay near zero. If it goes up to volts, that means there is an open in the ground side; usually it is where the terminal clamp clamps onto the battery. Do the same thing with the live wire, from + lead post to the big terminal on the starter.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Ok, took starter off just in case you said it was bad due to .30 being voltage or not. Tried jumping to make sure I had good connection before checking volts, and it cranked. tried again and back to the clicking noise, I am continuing with the tests and will get back to you with the results in 15 mins. or thereabout.

Quick Reply: '90 DX Won't Crank, Everything Checks OK So Far?