Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 Civic rebuilt and running rough.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Default 91 Civic rebuilt and running rough.

Hey guys I got a 91 Civic hatchback dx and it had jumped time before I got it and so I took it apart to make sure nothing internal was damaged since it's an interference motor. And I went ahead and rebuilt the motor but I didn't do anything special, just valves standard size pistons, gaskets, ect. And I ran straight pipe with after market head and put a cold air intake on it as well. Anything that isn't brand new has been tested cleaned and checking out okay, but I don't have an o2 sensor in my exhaust. It is plugged. But for some reason it's idle is kinda high and I can smell feul. It runs pretty rough especially when I give it gas it starts to feel like it wants to die then it levels for a second and starts idleing really rough again. Now I've worked with Honda's all my life while growing up and I haven't ever had this problem even when I have an o2 sensor out and the whole plugged. I can really use some help and any advice or feedback would be much appreciated please and thank you all in advance