Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 dx hatch blowing smoke at full throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Default 91 dx hatch blowing smoke at full throttle?

okay, i just test drove this 91 civic hatch with the d15b? anyhow, it just got out of the shop getting a new head gasket. the guy only wants 1000 for it, so i figure ill be putting some work into it..

engine has a sluggish start, but seems to run pretty strong.. its an automatic :-(

but question is this, when i floored it the car is blowin a bit of white smoke.. i need to pull the plugs and take a look at them, but would anyone have an idea as to what the culprit for this could be?

it doesnt smoke unless completely floored and the od kickin in.. but then smoke goes pourin out..

any help would be greatly appreciated or some ideas as to what to look for to self diagnose the problem from this point.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 91 dx hatch blowing smoke at full throttle?

Since you have white smoke, that can either mean you are running lean or burning coolant. Since it only happens when you floor it, you are probably running lean. When you floor it, two things must happen. The PCM (engine's computer) has to richen the fuel mixture by increasing the injector pulse width (how long the injector sprays fuel). The PCM also has to advance the ignition timing. The first thing i would do is replace the plugs and wires. Its not that expensive and you just bought the car so why not. I would also have the injectors cleaned since it is an old car and they might be dirty. You can clean them by using SeaFoam (check in the DIY section). Also, you can have them professionally cleaned but make sure an injector cleaning machine that uses pressurized solvent is used b/c some places just put a bottle of injector cleaner in your gas tank.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Default RE: 91 dx hatch blowing smoke at full throttle?

thanks for the info, after careful consideration i decided to compile funds for another month and purchase a civic more to my liking, and complete.