Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92 Si intemittent semi-hot start problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 PM
HCF Member
Default 92 Si intemittent semi-hot start problem

I've been having (and watching) this problem for more than a year now, and I'm pretty confident about symptoms. The typical scenario is:

I drive for a while, and then I stop at a grocery store and turn off the car.
When I return in 5 to 15 minutes aproximately, it would not start. When I turn the key, it starts and stalls immediately. If I try to restart it without turning the key back, it just cranks. If I turn the key all the way back and retry, it repeats start-stall sequence. If I return immediately, it starts fine. If I spend significant time in a store, it starts fine.
I just let it sit there and keep trying every once in a while. In a few minutes it starts and drives normally.
No CEL, no error codes, no nothing...[&:]

Thanks for ideas

Old 11-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Default RE: 92 Si intemittent semi-hot start problem

dude try this alright. put the car to the on position wait ten second tur it to the off position then back to on with 22 second inervals. do this ten times. to allow the liquids to be pressurized or somethign like that, i read it in the diy turbo insilaation, when i was low on gas and had toi push my car to the gas station i did that and then tried starting it it started and got me to a station. it sounds kind of fishy for your problem but it is worth a shot right

Old 11-30-2006, 11:28 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for idea, man. I think it's going to take about the same time to start, though

Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 AM
HCF Member

Bump.
Can't believe I am the only one having this problem...

Old 12-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Does it start, throw a CEL then stall?

Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

No, just stalls

Old 12-02-2006, 03:44 AM

im having the same problem i have no idea im thinking its something in my dizzy but if i find anything out i will let u know

Old 12-02-2006, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

Check the fuel pressure regulator. Hook up a fuel pressure regulator, let the engine run for a while then shut it off. If the engine does not hold fuel pressure after you turn it off, the problem is with that your FPR is not holding residual fuel pressure. You problem could also be an overheating main relay. To fix this, you take the relay apart and resolder the joints.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

Thanks, Agent.
I really have a feeling that this is fuel evaporation related, so that thing about FPR is definitely what I will check. Do not really understand how main relay can cause those, I can’t factor the timing of the problem in here, so if you could enlighten me, it would be great.
Thanks a million.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:16 PM

I had the same symtoms as you are having and as someone said in a previous post "the main relay" well it was my fuelpump relay that was causin the problem. I took the relay out and opened it up, sprayed with contact cleaner then sprayed it with pure silicone spray lubricant, reassembled and the problem is gone. It does'nt let the electricity get to the fuel pump, until it is good and ready. When the problem arises with the key in the off position have someone listen in the back seat for the hum of the pump when you turn the key to the run NOT start position.

Steve

Quick Reply: 92 Si intemittent semi-hot start problem