Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 civic dx overheating/idling erratically

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Default 93 civic dx overheating/idling erratically

i have a 93 Honda civic dx 1.5l that has been giving me some trouble as of late. the car has been over heating and idling erratically and on top of all that the spark plug caps are being blown off the spark plugs. the car was purchased with a blown head gasket. which has been replaced with all new gaskets and timing belt,water pump,and belt tensor. since the head gasket has been replaced the car started over heating again. i had thought that the cooling fan was not coming on but check it the radiator,thermostat,and water pump. all seem to be in fine working order and have been at a lost since. for the spark plug cap i bought all new honda oem tube seals and that didnt fix the problem. as for the idling i believe it to be the TPS but i am not sure how i can check to see if i am right. this car has been a real headache and i really want to get it on the road so i can enjoy it more. if anyone out there has some suggestions please let me know asap. also if these questions have been answered before i am really sorry about the re post anyhow thanks for reading

Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It probably blew the gasket again because the head or block is warped. Take the radiator cap off and see if "air" comes out the radiator when you rev the engine. TPS will not cause overheating.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 PM

i am sure the head isnt warped because i had it check before i spent the time and money putting a bad head back on the car. as far as the block goes i am not 100% sure if it warped or not. i will do the check you were talking bout tomorrow morning its a bit to late here. and as for the TPS i was thinking it is the cause of the idling problem but i am unsure on how to check it.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I would not worry about the idling problem until after resolving the overheating.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:24 PM

so i did the check and no air bubbles. the only thing that comes to mind to check now is the ignition timing. or my gauge isn't working properly