Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 Civic with possible ECU problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Default 93 Civic with possible ECU problems?

The problem started when I came to a complete stop at the stop sign in my neighborhood. The engine just died and it wouldn't start, but the funny thing was that the check engine light did not come on. I knew it wasn't getting any spark because I could hear the fuel pump come on. I basically replaced the whole distributor except the plugs because I just recently replaced them. So when I checked the codes doing the paper clip test I noticed that the light just stays on, and I'm guessing thats a bad ECU unit. Any suggestions? Also my Civic does not say EX or SI on it, so I can't figure out what type of engine it is at all. I need a lil help with that, because every time I go the parts store they always ask if its a 1.5l or a 1.6L.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 93 Civic with possible ECU problems?

are your windows power or manual. And do you have vtec?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

With the connector jumped with a wire, the CEL stays ON when there are no trouble codes stored in the ECU. The ECU is likely fine.

You need to check whether each of the plugs has spark and whether the distributor is getting battery power. If not, check for blown fuses under the hood and dash. Also check whether the timing belt has snapped.

If you have spark at all four plugs, check whether the timing belt slipped one or more teeth.

The engine model can be determined by information stamped here:

Name:  picture_1088.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  46.7 KB

Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 AM

Yup thats it! I pulled the valve cover off and found that there wasn't a timing belt. That sucks. I'm gonna have a problem getting that thing back in time again, unless my Haynes book tells me how. Also is it possible that I may have bent some valves from trying to crack it over without a timing belt?

Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The simplest way to check for valve damage is to put a new timing belt on and try it. It's easy to set it in time. The procedure is in the Haynes manual.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:24 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: geetarz

Yup thats it! I pulled the valve cover off and found that there wasn't a timing belt.
Cant be!

Timing belt is under the plastic timing cover, not under the valve cover.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the cam doesn't turn when you crank the engine, the belt is bad.

If it does it could still have skipped teeth. Take the upper plastic cover off and see if the marks line up. This is done at TDC, which means turn the crank so the pointer on the lower cover points to the single notch on the pulley.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Yeah it is, but if you lift off the valve cover you can see the pulley underneath the belt cover.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 PM

I'm having a little trouble getting the crank pulley off of the car. the pulley itself does not have any holes to put anything through to lock it down tight. Its a manual and I have no earthly clue on how to stop it from moving. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You need a very good impact wrench or this inexpensive tool:

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-64879...0085561&sr=8-1

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...pful_tips.html

Another helpful link:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/7-...t-96-00-a.html

Also carefully read the timing belt replacement section of the 92-95 Civic service manual (see link in my signature).

Quick Reply: 93 Civic with possible ECU problems?