Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94' civic parts compatibility-what works-what don't??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Default 94' civic parts compatibility-what works-what don't??

Hi to all import gearheads-

I am building a 94' civic for my son. Let me say I am a 40 yr chevy man myself- 15 yr ASE master wrench for GM (so building/engineering isnt a problem). I currently have 2 cars- 1 is a 94 civic 1.6 v-tech automatic. 2nd is a 93 civic donor parts car with a good running 1.5 with a 5 spd manual. I want to find out if I can drop the auto- do the conversation as stated herein with everything. Will the 1.6 engine mate up to the 1.5 trans? And I wanted to swap the gauge cluster/computer, and maybe the whole steering column??? I have read where I can just rewire some plug ends to complete some open/closed circuits to allow the car to operate properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

****note- the cv axles on the 94 auto are set up for abs- the 93 standard has no abs- will I just have to deal with the abs light being on since the 5 spd axles have no abs sensor rings on them?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Chubby Chaser

everything from the donor is compatible with your car you are fixing
anything on your 1.5 or 1.6 matches up they are D" series engines

Old 07-31-2009, 07:56 PM

hey 94-
thanks for the help- one question tho- I hear alot about the trans mount issue going from auto-manual. Is this something i can just remove and re weld. Or do I have to get a special adapter? What exactly did you do to overcome this issue?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Chubby Chaser

i have recently done this swap myself in my sedan
you can use a stock mt mount the engine will sit a little off some people cut and re weld the mount and a easier fix is
hasport and a few other companies sell a mount that will just bolt up and fix the problem with no need to cut and weld

and also a hint...
when you swap pedals just swap the brake pedal its self remove the pin you dont have to swap the entire gas and brake assembly
i believe the hardest part with my swap was the damn brake spring if you have anymore questions on this swap msg i can help ya

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 07-31-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 PM

thanks a bunch 94-
any idea on the abs issue- the 94 auto has abs- the 93 manual is non abs. i am using the manual axles- will the abs just keep throwing a code/cel?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Chubby Chaser

i've never heard anything about that i believe the axles are the exact same thing
also if you have any extra axles let me know mine need replaced.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:20 AM
HCF Member

I have a '95 non-abs automatic and recently replaced an axles. The replacement has the abs ring. When I asked I was told the axles are the same and it did fit. I would think the only possible problem would be if the auto and manual axles are different.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The engine computer (ECU) must match the cc size of the engine and type of transmission. You only need to rewire a couple of things, the starter and key interlock and the reverse lights. The clusters all interchange plug and play. You can keep the one from the auto car but of course the gear indicator lights won't do anything.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by nasoj007
I have a '95 non-abs automatic and recently replaced an axles. The replacement has the abs ring. When I asked I was told the axles are the same and it did fit. I would think the only possible problem would be if the auto and manual axles are different.
auto and manual axles are the same i used my orignal auto axles when i did my manual swap

keep the stock computer in dont change it with the donor car because the donor is non vtec
you will have a cel from the auto ecu but it will be ok til you either get a p28 manul ecu or you can take yours apart and convert it
we have a diy how to convert the ecu. i have a p28 manual ecu for sale if you need or we can trade for some good axles if you have any..

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 08-01-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 AM

94-
how much for the ecu? Does anyone know what yr/model I would have to look for in order to get a std instrument cluster with a factory tach? The auto cluster has the tach- the donor (stripped down model) only has basic gauges. I am only guessing at this- but I would assume I would need to find the exact yr/mdl with a stick?? I 've been looking all over and all I can find are auto's.

Quick Reply: 94' civic parts compatibility-what works-what don't??