Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'94 DX Engine Needs Replaced/Rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Default '94 DX Engine Needs Replaced/Rebuilt

My '94 DX (SOHC non VTEC...makes it a D15B?) was pretty trashed when I bought it...worn out, overheated, blown head gasket, etc. I put in a new head gasket but the valve guides were really loose and the rings probably aren't much better. It has been using a quart of oil every 230-260 miles. Still gets 30+ mpg so I've been ignoring it. But once summer rolls around I might need to get it fixed up a little better.

I'm planning on doing a compression test...if the rings are good I can probably get by with a $300 repair for a reman head and gasket kit.

If the rings are toast it looks like it will be $800 pretty quick to put in new pistons and rings, bearings, and a reman head.

For about $600 I can get one of those Japan import engines with "30-50,000 miles". Anyone ever buy one of those? Are the sellers on eBay legit? They don't cover shipping costs if you have problems so I'd hate to install the damn thing and end up with the same problems I have now.

Any other opinions or suggestions? I'm not looking for more power...just the best mpg I can get and reliability. I drive a little over 100 miles a day.

Derek

Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: '94 DX Engine Needs Replaced/Rebuilt

the same engine?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Try to find a local used one, call salvage yards periodically. They may put you on a list to get dibs on the next good engine that comes in. If you buy locally you can easily take it back and try to get your money back if it is no good.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: mk378

Try to find a local used one, call salvage yards periodically. They may put you on a list to get dibs on the next good engine that comes in. If you buy locally you can easily take it back and try to get your money back if it is no good.
Most of the local salvage yards around here suck. I'm in the middle of KS...no larger cities close so these engines are hard to find. The ones that are around are higher miles and they still want close to a grand for them. Too much money for the miles for me. One yard is cheap AND has a Civic with the same engine but it has sat opened up for long enough it is probably just good for a core. If I rebuilt one I'd probably grab that one and rebuild it then stab it in my car.

Derek

Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well if your unsure of motors condition and you have another car then id say rebuild your motor and have the head checked out and if good rebuilt it.

buying a used engine is always a risk. and with buying a used engine you still want to replace all the exterior oil seals and water pump/timing belt and such... hell i spent more for new oil seals and new parts than i did my motor localy. i found a guy that had one for only 250bucks which is a steal, and most likely was a stolen motor IMO. at least little stereo shop looked shady as hell! BUT i opened up the valve cover and timing belt cover and belt wasnt snaped and under the valve cover looked clean so i took it... ended up being a good buy, but was still a risk.... i lucked out!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Sounds like you got a $250 RLH deal. That is when you don't ask, pay the money, and Run Like Hell!

Derek

Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I got one from a legit local junkyard, 100,000 miles but perfectly clean inside, included manifolds, sensors, injectors, throttle body, mounts, etc: $600. Charging $1000 for a used D15B7 is crazy.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:20 PM

im actually looking for a swap myself. I to have a 94 dx id like to modify. it has the D15b in it. ive done a few mods nothing big, strait exhaust, intake, platinum plugs, yada yada yada. i need to find something i can throw in it thats affordable dependable and tweakable (performance upgradable). i was interested in a vtec possibly.. anyone got any good suggestions?

Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well a simple swap is a Z6 SOHC Vtec they come in 92-95 EX and SIs

Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 PM

i found an offer for a h22a4 for a $1000 with 5 speed tranny....and also a d16z6 with the 5 speed also. would the h22a4 fit?

Quick Reply: '94 DX Engine Needs Replaced/Rebuilt