Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94' Honda Civic EX Starts but wont move??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Default 94' Honda Civic EX Starts but wont move??

Hi . i didnt know where to post being that i'm new to here . I was hoping someone would be able to help me. We have a 94' Honda civic EX. standard 4cyl. 1.6L. well its got some miles on it.. and u expect the normal wear and tear.. bout a lil over a week ago the clutch went out. its since been replaced.. riding fine.seemed better than before..well hubby was on his way home from work last night . and as he came off the interstate and went to shift and turn at the intersection. He heard a loud pop.. The car wouldnt move. We have no clue what to look for. has anyone ever came across this in the past? if so i would appreciate any info or a point in a direction.. I think he mentioned that he noticed a slight vibration the night before.but not sure if thatcould be part of tire wear or a part of this problem that was bout to happen..well .We towed it back to the house.. He got in it. It starts right up.. He pushes the clutch you can hear it trying to go thru the gears. but WONT move . I am hearing it could be the torque converter is broken inside its case. and no longer connected to the tranny . or something with the cv joint.. the axle could of popped out.or loose and just came outta the boot. just trying to narrow things down . we dont have time to start looking over things til tomorrow eve. just tryin to get some ideas.. so we know where to start.
would appreciate an ideas.. . Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/23224/041B619041FD49978E9EAD82B502B334.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 94' Honda Civic EX Starts but wont move??

It really sounds like an axle just popped out. This happens sometimes after replacing the clutch and they aren't popped back in properly. It could also be a bad CV joint. But your mechanic should've noticed that while under the car working on the clutch job.

If the speedometer goes up when you put it in gear and let out the clutch, the clutch and transmission are OK. Manuals don't have a torque converter, only automatics do.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Yea am hoping its something along the lines of the axle popping out . and nothing inside the transmission. as for the torque thing .. i was just ramblin bout different things. not thinking when i posted .so.. ya ..typical female [sm=smiley36.gif] talking or typing in this case.without thinking. first.Hopefully the weather is good tomorrow so we can find the prob and get it fixed.. So can it really take a while for the axle to pop out if its not in correctly i wouldve thought it would happen immediately after u started drivin it again if thats the case instead of a week later.? .. well guess we. will post what we find out.

Thanks
I appreciate your reply. [sm=smiley1.gif]

Old 07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

It shouldn't take too long for the axle to be poped in again although you might have to take the suspension apart to be able to do it.You should be able to see the axle poped out of the transmission side. You have to push it back in, make sure the ring goes into the slot so the axle can't come out again. Your mechanic who did the clutch should fix this for free.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 PM

well happend to me in a focus clutch was put in backwards it worked for a minuet then just stopped soo see if thats the case

Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

Like a dumb-*** I put the clutch-disk in backwards in my Jeep, and it just made weird noises and I could never adjust the linkage properly. I drove it like that for about 2 years before getting fed up and yanking it - then noticed my error.

Hopefully, it's just the half-shaft came loose from the diff. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2007, 04:53 AM

Ok so we look at the car last night but didnt have a lot of daylight.after work .to do much .. checked the axle .. the axle didnt pop out . its still connected. we jacked the car up.. and the with the car in gear . shouldnt be able to spin the tire/wheel .but it turns easily..by hand. so we start the car..with the passenger side still jacked. and when put in gear and press on the clutch like was gonna go.. the tire doesnt spin at all. i'm guessin something in the transmission or with the clutch... i dunno .. guess wil just have to drop the tranny and check everything.. yay.. any suggestions. are we over looking something.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:45 AM

the shaking you describe before it quit working sounds like the clutch pack came loose for some reason, maybe one of the 6 bolts was not torqed down right and broke the pressure plate , if a shop did the work take it back , let us know what was wrong

Old 07-16-2007, 04:47 AM
Default RE: 94' Honda Civic EX Starts but wont move?? fixed now

ok well the honda is fixed now.. . went over a few things that were mentioned.. just looking at the axles they looked like they were locked in.. so we were lookin at the tranny or clutch as the problem.. so start takn the car apart. to get to the tranny.. went to pull the drivers side axle . after unhooking a few things.. well it came out way too easy .. apparently that was the reason it wouldnt move ... gotta love the mechanic that fixed the clutch . apparently after he put the clutch in .when he popped the axles in apparently they didnt lock all the way..so it slipped when he was turning...so he ended up drivin on it a week bfore they it broke.. just glad he was in town when it happened . and not out drivin it on the interstate.still ..

well anyways.. thanks everyone for your ideas and help on narrowing the problem down
appreciate all the help.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Default RE: 94' Honda Civic EX Starts but wont move?? broke again..!!

well guess what .. this time it popped again . on the interestate.. running bout 85 in the passing lane..luckily he's a good driver and handled it when the axle popped then hungup .wheel locked.up... after an $80 after hour tow.. its sitting yet again . i'm wondering when the guy tried to pop it back in the first time if the part where the axle. locks into the transmission is broken. well guess wednesday eve. will pull axle out and find out. any ideas of why it wont stay locked in?

Quick Reply: 94' Honda Civic EX Starts but wont move??