HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   94' starts, rough noise/idle (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/94-starts-rough-noise-idle-83077/)

Mecca8383 05-29-2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sbtflip (Post 716221)
Aight, got a new problem. After finding out that putting pressure on the timing belt cover that the sound would change for the better from what i can tell. Tried taking it off. But it catches onto the valve cover. So took out spark plug things, unscrewed the valve cover and took it off to get the cover of the timing belt off.

Trying to check the timing belt if the cover was off, but now the car wont start.
So put everything back to way it was and still it wont start.

Question.....When you took the valve cover off and the timing cover..What was left off when you tried to start your civic?

If you only left the timing belt cover off & everything else was on...Did you make sure you connected the grounding wire to the valve cover from the body?(should be somewhere near the driver's side headlight I believe..maybe closer to the AC fan)

I'm no mechanic but the cranking without starting happened to me before when i forgot to connect the ground wire from the body to the valve cover & an co-worker at work(who been a mechanic for 25 years) told me if that ground wire is not attached to the valve cover then it can fry your ICM or even your coil.

But of course..that's just my car...

Sbtflip 05-29-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mecca8383 (Post 716515)
Question.....When you took the valve cover off and the timing cover..What was left off when you tried to start your civic?

If you only left the timing belt cover off & everything else was on...Did you make sure you connected the grounding wire to the valve cover from the body?(should be somewhere near the driver's side headlight I believe..maybe closer to the AC fan)

I'm no mechanic but the cranking without starting happened to me before when i forgot to connect the ground wire from the body to the valve cover & an co-worker at work(who been a mechanic for 25 years) told me if that ground wire is not attached to the valve cover then it can fry your ICM or even your coil.

But of course..that's just my car...

First time only thing left off was timing belt cover. Then it didnt start, so put everything back. But yes did forget the grounding wire but only for like 3 tries till realizing it, so wouldnt think it would **** over coil that fast. and ICM is?

SilverSedan 05-29-2010 07:46 PM

I don't know what an ICM. I know what an ICBM is, but nothing honda related :P I think he means ECM. Electronic Control Module, or basically the computer that runs your car.

Mecca8383 05-30-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by SilverSedan (Post 716527)
I don't know what an ICM. I know what an ICBM is, but nothing honda related :P I think he means ECM. Electronic Control Module, or basically the computer that runs your car.

Ignition Control Module...sorry..:p

Sbtflip 06-01-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mk378 (Post 716430)
Take the distributor cap off and check that the distributor shaft rotates when you crank, if not, the timing belt has failed.

Finally got the chance to look at it this morning. And yes it does rotate when cranking.

Unanswered question: Can an aftermarket alarm prevent a spark? And if so is there a way to trace it be the reason.