Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 timing advice needed... time at idle or 2K rmps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default 94 timing advice needed... time at idle or 2K rmps?

EDIT got the motor runing now BUT not sure how to set timing.....
ive jumped that computer wire and adjusted the distrubutor as far as it can go and at idle its not close to the timing mark like i THINK it should be... with those 3 marks on the middle one... its close to the 2 marks at idle...

Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 94 motor still wont start and run :( any help???? PLEASE help me out.

can it be ur alternator?

Old 10-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 94 motor still wont start and run :( any help???? PLEASE help me out.

i dont see how it would keep it from starting...
BUT i did have it tested out at autozone and they said it was good.
and i charged the battery up.... tho i might have to charge it up again with all these attempts to start the car... but its spining over fast so it should have enough charge to spark it up just fine!

ill pull the spark plug wires off my 99civic and slap them on the 94 and see if that makes a difference but the wires look fine.
also just bought a fuel presure gauge off ebay so HOPEFULLY that comes quickly and i can rule out the fuel pump at least...

i swear tho this project is starting to make me regret it...... BUT as soon as i get it fired up im sure ill be ALOT HAPPIER WITH IT AT LEAST!!!!!
but till then ill be preaty pissed [:@]

Old 10-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

How long has the car been sitting? If the gas has gone bad (to the point that it doesn't smell right), you really need to get ALL the old gas out of the tank (use the drain bolt) and put in fresh. Just putting a few gallons of fresh in on top of the stale won't help much.

Also check the compression of all 4 cylinders, and take the upper timing cover off so you can confirm that the timing marks line up.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

compresion is good rufly 178-182 in all 4..
tho not sure how long the car was siting before i got it..

Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Cat Fuсker

double check your firing order...

Old 10-08-2007, 06:04 AM
HCF Member

yeah check your fire order, check ALL spark plug for fire, if you think the car is flooded press on the gas while cranking it. Like they said, if the gas is really old, change it, and also, spray some flammable stuff, like brake cleaner in your throttle body (not too much you don't want to explode) just spray some in there (with the the throttle opened of course!) and the try to start it again. It should start! If it starts and then die, it's a fuel problem... If it doesn't start, it sound like a fire problem!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well with old gas ive never had it just not start before... ive had it start and run like crap and pinging and such but nothing some high octane gas added to it and a can of HEET couldnt fix and let it pur again...
i havent checked it out yet BUT ill try afew things tonight.... try a spray bottle with gas thru the TB and see if it fires up or not. id just rather not go the starter fluid route....ive heard thats realy hard on the motor and i definatly dont need that!

also have to check the firing order but i kept the stock wires on the distributor when i swaped everything over and it did run for a short bit. but ill slap on my good wires from my 99 on it just incase the wires are the problem, and if thats not it i guess ill buy a new coil for it.... sure wouldnt hurt it i guess BUT cannt afford that till thursday....

hardest part about checking firing is doing it by yourself.LOL
thats my main downfall about realy figuring out the problem quickly! working by myself....
tho most the time i like working by myself BUT somethings ya just need someone else to help ya out...

Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 AM
HCF Member

wait a second I'm coming.. uh yeah where are you at? lol I don't think spraying something in the throttle body should be that hard on the engine..

and yeah I was just about to tell you how to check the sparks but you need to have the car running... lol that's no help. I would definitely try to spray something flammable in the throttle body! It's costless, and not very time conssuming..

you could just run a jumper wire (with alligator clip) from the battery positive to the starter, to crank it from under the hood! Oh yeah true it might not fire up.. but with the key in ON position, it should right?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 AM
HCF Member

is it turning over?

Quick Reply: 94 timing advice needed... time at idle or 2K rmps?