Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

front window pitches forward at full up position

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 AM
HCF Member
Default front window pitches forward at full up position

1994 Civic EX. (Actually, I had the identical problem on a 1993 Civic LX as well). When the window is in full up position it pitches forward, which results in significant air leak. If I leave the switch down too long, it will actually start to come out of the rubber seal at the rear uppermost part of the window. This is on the driver's side. I had done a search a while back and saw many posts recommending a new regulator, so I bought and installed one. No fix. I have had the door panel off many times, tried adjustments and looked for bent mounting points on the sheetmetal all to no avail. Does anyone have a been-there-done-that and fixed it solution that they can share with me? Please?

Thanks,

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx

Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like the glass is too far forward. You want the back edge to ride in the rail the whole way up, so it can't pivot around when it touches the sloped part at the top front. It's actually twisting backward from how you describe it.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 AM
HCF Member
Default window adjustment

Thanks for the reply MK, it is appreciated as always. I probably didn't do a good job explaining this, it is kinda tricky, and I left out a key factor, sorry about that. What I believe is key; the window didn't always do this, on this car. When I first got the car the window would roll up nicely, nest equally in the rubber seal, no air leaks. Little by little it started to show the tint edge at the rear upper corner until it now leaks air, significantly. I know it sounds as though I am leaning on the up switch, but believe me, since I had a prior Civic that did the same thing I am pretty careful. So, I believe it is something wearing since no adjustments were made between when it didn't do this and when it did. I have sprayed silicone down the rubber channels, in case the glass was rubbing/binding, no help. I have a buddy that does custom interior work, I am going to ask him what he thinks next.

Thanks for taking a stab at it.

Ed

Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Usually this happens because the regulator is worn out, but you say you replaced it. There really isn't anything else to wear out. The regulator is designed to keep the window horizontal the whole way up. It should just come up, touch at the top in a parallel manner, and then stop in closed position even if you hold the button down.