Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 ex has black smoke coming out

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:51 AM
HCF Member
Default 95 ex has black smoke coming out

Hey,

I have a 95 ex coupe auto (its my girls), and it has black smoke coming out the exhaust. I took it to the mechanic once and he told me that it could be the head gasket. I replaced the head gasket and the black smoke is still coming out. Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

-Damian

Old 08-05-2007, 10:59 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 95 ex has black smoke coming out

Did you replace the head gasket seal or use the old one?

Old 08-05-2007, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

I replaced the seal also. Do you know if it could be the piston rings or so? The car has like 220k on it! Do you know of any backyard mechanics in or around LA (90005)

Old 08-05-2007, 11:57 AM
HCF Member

Black smoke indicates a rich condition - it should smell kinda gassy too.

When you had the head off, how did the pistons and the underside of the combustion chambers look? If they were pretty blackened, then you've got some major carbon build-up, most likely from the rich condition.

I would try running some Sea-Foam through it and see what happens next. Fire up the car, let it get to operating temp, then pull the power brake booster vacuum line (from the booster side) then carefully pour about half or 2/3 of the can of Sea-Foam into it - then shut it off. Pour the last of the Sea-Foam into the gas tank. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then fire it up again and let it run. Be prepared - it's going to smoke like a **** for about 20 minutes - nice light-grayish colored smoke, too. Skeeters won't be a problem for a day or two.

If it's still smoking black after that, this will be a good time to change the plugs as well. If your spark plug gaps are too far out, it might not be completely burning the gas, which just turns into more carbon and sent out the back end. When's the last time the air filter, distributor cap & rotor, and spark plug wires were changed? Weak sparks can cause a rich condition too.

I'm not saying this will fix the problem for sure - but it's the cheap place to start. Make sure you Sea-Foam it before changing out the plugs though - because the Sea-Foam might actually make them worse if they're in bad shape.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:14 PM
HCF Member

SEA-FOAM FTW!!

Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

id also check the oil level... if its burning oil.... some times in my old impala its burning oil looked black....

hows its performance? does it seem to lag when ya punch the gas pedal? and smoke only when ya stomp the pedal?

id also run a compresion check...

Old 08-05-2007, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

hmmm.....maybe I'll just get a new motor or sell the whip!
thanx for the input though..

Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 PM
HCF Member

When is the last time the PCV valve/02 sensor was changed? Those are cheap fixs'.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:19 PM
HCF Member

good question.............i'm not sure.....how do i replace the pcv valve anyway?

Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 AM
HCF Member

Pull it out and put on a new one. Its simple. Get a haynes manual. Youll be glad you did.,

Quick Reply: 95 ex has black smoke coming out