Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 honda dx

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Default 95 honda dx

Ok so here goes. I have a 95 honda civic 5 speed. It was running but had a blown head gasket. I replaced the head gasket and now it will not start. The car has fuel pressure and spark. The timing is right the wires are routed right and it backfires like its 180 out. i pulled the distributor and checked to see if it in wrong but it wasnt and it can not be installed wrong. due to the design. I am lost and not used to honda engines. All my back round has been with mostly ford a gm. I am a certified diesel tech and am not in my relm Please help

Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Chubby Chaser

double check timing and make sure #1 is up, also recheck plug wires and make sure you have them correct.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Backfiring almost always means a timing problem. Set engine to TDC1 (probe in spark plug hole #1 to be sure crank is at true TDC) and check the cam pulley marks. Then take the cap off and the rotor must point to wire #1. The firing order is 1-3-4-2 going clockwise looking at the top of the distributor cap.

Note that a Civic engine rotates counterclockwise looking at the crank pulley, which is opposite of most cars. When turning the engine by hand always turn it counterclockwise.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 AM

#1 cylinder at tdc? or the distributor

Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

#1 cylinder at TDC, the single notch on the outside crank pulley will match the pointer. Then check that the cam is right, the "UP" label on the cam pulley should be up and the two lines even with the top of the head (if UP is at the bottom, turn crank around exactly once and check again). Then check the distributor.

Make sure the timing belt is tensioned correctly. The bolt in the tension roller must be TIGHT to run the engine. The spring is active only when setting initial tension.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 PM

Ok so i checked the timing marks again and everything was on point. I did however have the plugs wrong as far as firing order. That has been fixed now i have no missfire and no backfiring but it still wont start. It spins over great but then when i pulled the plugs back out to check compression again just to make sure i had 2 wires come apart. I will get some tomorrow and see where that gets me. Any other help is appriceated Thanks

Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 AM

OK soi did some more checking. I used a noid light this morning and ihave injector fire. I have spark. The plugs are on the correct position and it spins over has spark and fuel pressure and it still wont run. The compression is 120-150 in all cylinders fuel and spark present and i dont know where to go from there please help

Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 AM

still messing with this thing. Im going to replace the water pump that is leaking on this thing after the headgasket was replaced even though it still wont start but that will give me a chance to ensure that everything is ok to go. i hate this car right now!

Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

.......How's your battery looking? Is it charged? All that cranking could have drained the battery.

Also check the condition of your timing belt for cracks & make sure it's nice and snug against that Camshaft.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 AM

battery on a charger and a brand new timing belt