Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Default 98 Civic Brakes

I am having a issue with the brakes. In order to stop, I have to press the brakes down fairly far. Farther then it should have to be pressed in order to stop. If the car isn't running the brakes feel normal. Once the car is running, then the pedal goes back to the "un-normal" feel. I was looking at a repair manual for it, and they use the word "travel" and I believe this is to be what they are referring to. We replaced the brake shoes since they were getting worn down. Also we replaced the master cylinder, though we bled it after we hooked it up to the car. We bled each wheel in the order that it is suppose to be done. After the brakes didn't return to normal, we also bled it at the master cylinder as well. We don't believe there is any air in the line since we have tried bleeding the brakes many times and no more air comes out.

I am thinking that it could be the booster brake unit.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 PM
HCF Member

Like you said.. could be your booster.

If you pump your brake does it hold after couple of pump? and as you hold it, does it starts to sink?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If it has rear drums, check that they are staying adjusted. With the shoes too far away you have to press the pedal a lot to take that slack out before anything else happens. Does the hand brake work?

Seems the booster is OK, it is helping push the pedal down when the engine is on like it should. Problem is that with the pedal all the way down, the car doesn't stop very well.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 AM

I cranked it up and started pumping the brakes. There is no improvement and also doesn't seem that the brakes, when holding, go down. Though you can hear the booster unit and sounds like air when pressed, which is probably normal.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 AM
HCF Member

Try bleed it again in sequence = right rear, left rear, right front, left front

Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 PM

That is the sequence we bled the brake system. What about the idea that maybe the rod that goes to through the booster unit is not adjusted correctly. I was reading an article about how to adjust the brake pedal height. I am thinking maybe there is a chance it was adjusted incorrectly. It will stop if you press it farther than it should be.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM

The reason I am starting to think that it could be a chance that the pushrod isn't long enough is because, in a repair manual it shows that the rod goes to almost half the length of the bolts that the master cyl bolts on

Old 04-14-2012, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

Before you change out your master cylinder, everything was operating normal?? back track prior your issue.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:48 PM

We've already replaced the master cyl at an attempt to fix it but it is still about the same. So I am not going to try another master cyl. I am just trying to give the picture of the rod shows to be about half the length of the bolts. Coming out of the booster brake unit. Currently the rod is is just barely noticable.