Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 civic DX manual won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
HCF Member
Default 98 civic DX manual won't start

My 98dx with 80k won't start or turn over. Lights and Cd player won't turn on either. The dash board turns on but all the lights are dim in color. My car has started and ran fine. I went for a short drive, shut the car off, and then about 2 seconds later went to start it back up and this is what happens now. It's almost like a fuse blew, but idk if that's got anything to do with starting your car? If i hook up jumper wires, the lights and power all turn on and the car starts right up. I didn't leave my lights on so i don't understand how my battery could all a sudden just die. I'm going to autozone tomorrow to test the life of my battery. Could it be a connection problem, and how do you detect that? Also, theres some corrosion under my hood, and some on the ground wire from battery. Suggestions or help please, thanks in advance

Last edited by firecatf7333; 01-01-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 AM

sounds like its either your battery or alternator. just take it to advance or autozone and theyll check it for free

Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Could be the connections at the battery, or the alternator, or the battery itself.

Sometimes something comes loose inside a battery and it dies suddenly. I have had such a battery be perfectly fine, park the car for a few minutes and find it stone dead the next time trying to start it.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Obviously, the battery lost its charge.

1) The battery might simply be at the end of its life, and Winter (brutal on batteries) has accelerated its demise. AutoZone will suggest that you purchase a new battery. Ask them to try to recharge the battery first.

2) The battery posts and connectors (as well as the battery ground wire) may be corroded, preventing proper current flow and battery recharging by the alternator. Clean them well to allow for good electrical contacts.

3) The alternator might be failing. Has the battery/charge light on the dash been ON? Is the alternator belt loose or glazed?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Obviously, the battery lost its charge.

1) The battery might simply be at the end of its life, and Winter (brutal on batteries) has accelerated its demise. AutoZone will suggest that you purchase a new battery. Ask them to try to recharge the battery first.

2) The battery posts and connectors (as well as the battery ground wire) may be corroded, preventing proper current flow and battery recharging by the alternator. Clean them well to allow for good electrical contacts.

3) The alternator might be failing. Has the battery/charge light on the dash been ON? Is the alternator belt loose or glazed?
No there wasn't a battery/charge light on. Where is the alternator belt at? What do you mean glazed? The ground from the battery looks a little corroded so i'm gunna clean that. What can you use to clean off the rust on the bolt? Is there a way to check and see if the alternator is working?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by firecatf7333
...Where is the alternator belt at?
The alternator belt is the innermost of the three drive belts (PS, A/C, alt). These belts are located on the right side as you are standing in front of the hood. The alternator is near the firewall.

What do you mean glazed?
Over time, drive belts can become worn and develop a smooth glaze that causes slippage. The remedy is to replace the belt.

Is there a way to check and see if the alternator is working?
Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it? If not, after you clean all the battery connections and charge/replace the battery, drive the Civic to AutoZone where they will test the alternator free of charge.

The ground from the battery looks a little corroded so i'm gunna clean that. What can you use to clean off the rust on the bolt?
Use steel wool to clean the battery posts, connectors, and ground wire.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:15 AM
HCF Member
Default for now

I tried charging my battery at advanced auto parts and they said the charger wouldn't work for my battery and it was shot. I put a new battery in and it works for now. The guy at advanced tested my alternator and said my it seemed to be working. Hopefully it was just my battery