Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic Fuel Filter...what's the extra hose mounted to it for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Default 98 Civic Fuel Filter...what's the extra hose mounted to it for?

I have a 98 Civic with what is probably the original fuel filter on it. I went to change it but noticed that there is an extra hose attached to a metal bracket on the original filter. I know it's not the fuel line.

It has a little plastic clip on the end of the hose that snaps into an extra bracket attached to my fuel filter (original) but this extra bracket is not on the new one I picked up to replace it with.

My questions are:

1 - what is the hose for (I assume it's to another component not necessarily related to the fuel system).
2 - how to I mount it after I replace the filter?

Thanks to any and all in advance for your help. I've used this forums many times to troublshoot myself out of a jam, thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Default Update

So I did the filter swap today and it went super smooth. No stuck bolts or surprises (has to be a first time, right?).

After taking the filter off I realized that the extra hose I saw was actually mounted to the bracket that holds the filter on (it was hard to see until I took it off). I asked a guy at the auto parts store what it was and he told me it was an air return line to the fuel tank. Does this sound right?