HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   98 civic/no spark (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/98-civic-no-spark-83414/)

lambo 06-12-2010 01:59 PM

98 civic/no spark

Hi.

I have a 98’ civic EX-1.6VTEC, the first symptom was the dash board lights very dim and then it gradually come on after 10-20 minutes of driving. After that the car starts intermittently, it runs good once it’s start. The other day it was really hard to start but it did then it just went dead. I checked for the spark but was nothing. I replaced the ignition coil still nothing. ..need help!!!

redyute 06-12-2010 02:16 PM

You probably need to replace the igniter too its inside the distributor as well,you should check to see if it has a crank sensor code then you might as well get a new distributor

lambo 06-12-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by redyute (Post 718972)
You probably need to replace the igniter too its inside the distributor as well,you should check to see if it has a crank sensor code then you might as well get a new distributor

Please elaborate!

tonyhatchetman 06-12-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by lambo (Post 718974)
Please elaborate!

he means that it would be cheaper to buy a new dizzy than try and re build that one ..........do you have any cel s ?? He's saying that it could be the crank sensor .........

I belive that is right some one correct me if I'm wrong

lambo 06-12-2010 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by tonyhatchetman (Post 718978)
he means that it would be cheaper to buy a new dizzy than try and re build that one ..........do you have any cel s ?? He's saying that it could be the crank sensor .........

I belive that is right some one correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks. I wasn’t sure what he meant by “check to see if it has a crank sensor code”.
What is “cel s”?

tonyhatchetman 06-12-2010 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by lambo (Post 718979)
Thanks. I wasn’t sure what he meant by “check to see if it has a crank sensor code”.
What is “cel s”?

check engine light

lambo 06-12-2010 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by tonyhatchetman (Post 718980)
check engine light

o..
Thank you all. I will keep you posted.

trustdestruction 06-12-2010 04:26 PM

Igniter would not affect dashboard lights. Problem sounds like it's in the charging system... either the alternator or battery. Since it would start sometimes and keep running, I think it is your battery... what sounds like it is happening is that the battery barely had enough charge to start the car and once it would start, the alternator kept it running. Now your battery has stopped working completely and you can't even start the car at all.

Have the battery tested at the auto parts store (it's free) and buy a new one if it fails the test.

lambo 06-12-2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction (Post 718986)
Igniter would not affect dashboard lights. Problem sounds like it's in the charging system... either the alternator or battery. Since it would start sometimes and keep running, I think it is your battery... what sounds like it is happening is that the battery barely had enough charge to start the car and once it would start, the alternator kept it running. Now your battery has stopped working completely and you can't even start the car at all.

Have the battery tested at the auto parts store (it's free) and buy a new one if it fails the test.

Thanks for your response. I replaced the igniter it was bad (tested by Autozone). Everything went well so far including the dashboard lights, I'll keep it in mind if the dashboard lights acting up again.:)

Thanks everyone.

trustdestruction 06-12-2010 07:39 PM

Very strange dashboard light situation then. odd