Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 civic/no spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Default 98 civic/no spark

Hi.

I have a 98’ civic EX-1.6VTEC, the first symptom was the dash board lights very dim and then it gradually come on after 10-20 minutes of driving. After that the car starts intermittently, it runs good once it’s start. The other day it was really hard to start but it did then it just went dead. I checked for the spark but was nothing. I replaced the ignition coil still nothing. ..need help!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:16 PM

You probably need to replace the igniter too its inside the distributor as well,you should check to see if it has a crank sensor code then you might as well get a new distributor

Old 06-12-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by redyute
You probably need to replace the igniter too its inside the distributor as well,you should check to see if it has a crank sensor code then you might as well get a new distributor
Please elaborate!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:43 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by lambo
Please elaborate!
he means that it would be cheaper to buy a new dizzy than try and re build that one ..........do you have any cel s ?? He's saying that it could be the crank sensor .........

I belive that is right some one correct me if I'm wrong

Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by tonyhatchetman
he means that it would be cheaper to buy a new dizzy than try and re build that one ..........do you have any cel s ?? He's saying that it could be the crank sensor .........

I belive that is right some one correct me if I'm wrong
Thanks. I wasn’t sure what he meant by “check to see if it has a crank sensor code”.
What is “cel s”?

Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by lambo
Thanks. I wasn’t sure what he meant by “check to see if it has a crank sensor code”.
What is “cel s”?
check engine light

Old 06-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by tonyhatchetman
check engine light
o..
Thank you all. I will keep you posted.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Igniter would not affect dashboard lights. Problem sounds like it's in the charging system... either the alternator or battery. Since it would start sometimes and keep running, I think it is your battery... what sounds like it is happening is that the battery barely had enough charge to start the car and once it would start, the alternator kept it running. Now your battery has stopped working completely and you can't even start the car at all.

Have the battery tested at the auto parts store (it's free) and buy a new one if it fails the test.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 06-12-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Igniter would not affect dashboard lights. Problem sounds like it's in the charging system... either the alternator or battery. Since it would start sometimes and keep running, I think it is your battery... what sounds like it is happening is that the battery barely had enough charge to start the car and once it would start, the alternator kept it running. Now your battery has stopped working completely and you can't even start the car at all.

Have the battery tested at the auto parts store (it's free) and buy a new one if it fails the test.
Thanks for your response. I replaced the igniter it was bad (tested by Autozone). Everything went well so far including the dashboard lights, I'll keep it in mind if the dashboard lights acting up again.

Thanks everyone.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Very strange dashboard light situation then. odd