Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic won't start after sitting 12hrs or more

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Default 98 civic won't start after sitting 12hrs or more

Need some help, my 98 civic ex, totally stock, is very hard to start if it has been sitting 10 hrs or more, when/if it does finally start, takes a couple of minutes(to point where I am afraid battery will die)(sounds like it wants to but stumbles/like a carb with only gas in the bowls), it is fine for the rest of the day no issues runs fine/starts first crank, I still think old school and believe in the spark/fuel theories you need them both to run, the only scenario i can come up with is that it is not holding fuel pressure and gas/pressure is seeping back to tank after sitting for such a long period. Any thoughts am i way off base? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
HCF Member

What's the condition of the battery, cables? Old batteries don't like cold temps. Have you checked the voltage? Alternator belt in good condition?

If you turn the key to the on position, without starting the car, how long do you hear your fuel pump purring away for?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Right now car is working fine, happens only after sitting, so that being said, battery is about 6 months old(live in florida so no cold ever), cables are clean and in good shape, belts are in good shape, fuel pump runs for about 3 seconds, havn't checked voltage. I get off of work around 6pm if i don't start it til next 9am next morning gives me trouble 2, 3 times a week, if i get off at 6pm start it at 11pm before I go to bed no problem next morning???

Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 PM
HCF Member

Any luck? Have you tried disconnecting your battery for the night to rule out a phantom power draw?

Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

1) Inspect the spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor for excess corrosion and wear. When did you last replace the plug wires?

When the engine will not start:

2) Listen for whether the fuel pump primes for two seconds when the key is turned to ON(II).

3) Check for spark at all four plugs. If you are not sure how to do this, I can provide instructions.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 PM

I think I found the problem the number 1 fuel injector isn't working but is getting power.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 PM
HCF Member

I have a 92 Civic hatch D15b7 .......Im having a similar problem.......if my car sits for more than like 5 or 6 hrs it cranks and cranks and cranks but wont start ...........when i turn the car on i dont hear anything from the fuel pump but im not sure if i just cant hear it or if its not comming on or what............after a few cycles of key on and 15sec of cranking, key off, it will start and be fine for the rest of the day .............is there a fuel pressure reulator valve or something like that that i could check ..............im thinking its loosing fuel pressure after it sits for a long time, if so is there a way i can check to see if its causing the problem

Old 03-10-2009, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

wow can i get some help plz i have been using the search function and i cant find anything

Old 03-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you can't hear the fuel prime when you turn the key to ON(II), then the main relay is likely bad.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM

Ok think I found one of my problems, If I take the wire off the injector on cylinder 'one" engine runs same idle doesn't change, with or without wires idles same(wire directly to injector) is gettin power within in correct range, ok if i put wires back on injector 1 and pull the injector off cylinder 2 the car stumbles, until i put wires back, does the same with 3 and 4, I am assuming these means the injector in cylinder one isn't working? how hard is it to change? and what parts do I need to buy to do it, does anybody have a diagram or some insight? Thanks! By the way pulled the plug on cylinder 1 and tested to see if gettin spark and it is.

Quick Reply: 98 civic won't start after sitting 12hrs or more