Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98civic stock failed functional smog test need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Default 98civic stock failed functional smog test need HELP

it failed the functional smog test (mil/check engine light) its not flashing any codes i was told it is problably the monitors self test . i guess it tests itself. dont know but i was wondeing if somebody had a list or could tell me what it tests so i can maybe narrow it down.......would also like to know why it fails and yet doesnt flash anycodes becaise it obviously would have helped to know that is/what was gonna fail before i got the damn test.....if anybody could help i would appreciate it

Old 01-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 98civic stock failed functional smog test need HELP

More information would help.

Are you saying that the Check Engine Light (CEL) is not ON but a CEL code was pulled from the ECU during the inspection? If so, what was the code? This information should be printed on the form indicating that your car failed the smog test.

If the ECU is not throwing a code, then did you inquire as to the reason for the failed test. If not, call them back for details.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:25 PM

does the bulb work in the CEL on the dash? it should light up as you turn the ignition on.

Have you been to erm i think its autozone over it the US, and they can pull the code for free apparently... Maybe there is a code but for some reason, blown bulb, some iffy wiring or some other reason its not showing the code.

I didnt entirely understand your post, so sorry if im talking about something completely different. haha

Old 01-13-2008, 03:21 PM

all the paper work says and i quote "the engine failed MIL\check engine light tests due to failure to successfuly complete all OBD self tests". what are these self tests?the light works fine its only on in when the key is in the on position and goes off when the car starts .the paper work shows me no code either nor have i seen the check engine light flash any code at any time or stay on at any time.i asked the guy there and he was kinda short with me. he just asked if the check engine light has ever stayed on it never has.---what are these self tests?--- the car only has 100,000 miles on it and its never been worked on,completely stock.one more thing could i go back to the place i got it tested and ask them to give me the list of what OBD self test fail. would they have that?

Old 01-13-2008, 03:26 PM

hmmmm.... i dont know on this one... maybe the computer(ECU) has gone bad?!? very unhelpful garage by the way, i would of pestered the guys there until they told me what was wrong.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Do not give any more of your car business to the mechanic who performed the inspection. His/her failure to properly inform you about the reason that your car did not pass inspection is likely against the law.

To see whether your ECU has a stored code, perform the procedure detailed at this link:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Old 01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think they may be talking about a "not ready" code which occurs after the ECU has been reset, until after a period of normal driving allows the ECU to recalibrate itself and confirm that all the sensors are OK.

This may occur if you have recently (within perhaps 50 miles before the inspection) disconnected the battery or had the battery run all the way down and needed to jump-start. If for some reason the ECU is not receiving constant "backup" power from the battery it will also be not ready.

The inspection station should tell you exactly which code is present. Or you can ask the state agency that oversees the inspections what the procedure is.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:07 PM

thanks for the quick responses i really appreciate it. i havent unplugged the battery in problably a half a year and i drove for atleast 15 to 20 miles that day before i went through city traffic ect.i was reading the paperwork again and it does give a overall test result says what passed ect. and what didnt it does give a reason why it failed but asfar as codes go none. so its like its not givin any codes like its all good just this self test it cant perform im just wondering if the failure means that it could not perform all the self tests or if it could and some passed and some didnt i will do what i can in the morning.....hopefully the monitor is working because if not then im afraid when i do get it to work it will start flashing codes. thanks again especially for that link i will do that tomorrow

Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You are clearly still perplexed about the reason that your car failed inspection. Contact the manager/supervisor of the business where the inspection was done to obtain a more detailed explanation. I am sure more information is available to help you figure out this problem.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 PM

it was a missing RADIO/BACKUP fuse i guess the previous owner removed it i dont know but thats what i believe was cause the obd to reset itself or show the disconnect failure thanks for all your help i sure do appreciate it .......... a buddy of mine who has a 98 acura just failed his smog for the same reason obd failure i asked him to check his RADIO/BACKUP fuse and it was burnt out so its got to be that thanks again

Quick Reply: 98civic stock failed functional smog test need HELP