Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic Fuel Level Gauge Stuck on Full

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by alpinegroove
I have a multimeter but don't really know how to use it...

1. How do I know which cluster wires / pins to test?
Test the Yel/Blk wire in the sending unit connector for a short.

3. Any advice on how to use a multimeter to test the short would be appreciated.
With gauge cluster connector B and the fuel sending unit 3P connector unplugged, set your multimeter to measure continuity and then test the Yel/Blk wire terminal in the sending unit connector for continuity to body ground.

Attached Thumbnails 99 Civic Fuel Level Gauge Stuck on Full-picture_8054.jpg  

Last edited by RonJ; 10-26-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
The sending unit has the 3P connector whereas the fuel pump has the 2P connector.
I think I might have unplugged the wrong connector. The one I unplugged is circled in red in the attached picture.

Do I need to unplug one of the connectors that are currently covered?

Attached Thumbnails 99 Civic Fuel Level Gauge Stuck on Full-img_0017.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 AM
HCF Member

With gauge cluster connector B and the fuel sending unit 3P connector unplugged, set your multimeter to measure continuity and then test the Yel/Blk wire terminal in the sending unit connector for continuity to body ground.
That's really helpful, thanks.

I am trying to understand the concept. So if there is continuity, it means that there is a short in the Yel/Blk, right?

My understanding is that with the two connectors unplugged, there shouldn't be continuity between the Yel/Blk and the body ground. There should only be continuity between them when the sending unit is sending something to the cluster.

Is that right?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I think I might have unplugged the wrong connector. The one I unplugged is circled in red in the attached picture.
In the connector you unplugged, how many wires does it have and what are the wire colors? Can you also post a picture showing the face of the female side of the connector?

Do I need to unplug one of the connectors that are currently covered?
Yes. The one under the rubber cover on the left.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I am trying to understand the concept. So if there is continuity, it means that there is a short in the Yel/Blk, right?
Correct.

My understanding is that with the two connectors unplugged, there shouldn't be continuity between the Yel/Blk and the body ground.
Correct.

There should only be continuity between them when the sending unit is sending something to the cluster.

Is that right?
The Yel/Blk wire should always have end-to-end continuity. If not, the wire has an open (no end-to-end continuity). You are looking for a short in the wire, which is detected by measuring continuity to body ground.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:36 AM
HCF Member

Yes. The one under the rubber cover on the left.
Ok, I did not remove any rubber cover. I just unplugged the connector shown in the photo. I can't take another photo or check the wire colors right now, but what do you think I unplugged given that it was not covered with anything? If I remember correctly, it 4p.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Ok, I did not remove any rubber cover. I just unplugged the connector shown in the photo. I can't take another photo or check the wire colors right now, but what do you think I unplugged given that it was not covered with anything? If I remember correctly, it 4p.
There's a gray 6P connector (C568) for the fuel tank pressure sensor subharness. That may be it.

Unplug the 3P sending unit connector and then turn the key to ON(II) to see whether the fuel gauge needle now drops.

Attached Thumbnails 99 Civic Fuel Level Gauge Stuck on Full-picture_8055.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 AM
HCF Member

Ok, I'll try that. I must have unplugged the wrong connector...

Do I need to worry about all the dirt in there at this point or does it only need to be cleaned if I remove the sending unit?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 AM
HCF Member

You are looking for a short in the wire, which is detected by measuring continuity to body ground.
I guess I am still confused. How could there be continuity between the Yel/Blk and the body ground if both connectors are unplugged? In other words, what could be causing such a short? Since the connectors are unplugged, it couldn't be sending unit or the cluster. So what could it be?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do I need to worry about all the dirt in there at this point or does it only need to be cleaned if I remove the sending unit?
Just vacuum the loose dirt. The connectors may be coated with dielectric grease. Don't clean that off. If you do, recoat the connectors with dielectric grease.

Quick Reply: 99 Civic Fuel Level Gauge Stuck on Full