Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 civic stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Default 99 civic stalling issues

-5spd dx model-

It started a few weeks back. When the car was driven at hwy speeds for over 20min, then exiting the freeway, the car would simply stall with very little or no notice at all. the speedometer would just go to zero. However, the car would start after this, but the stalling would be intermittent and continue for the rest of the drive.

I don't have a tach, but the car seems to idle fine and its not at all rough. It does however cough abit sometimes as its about to stall. This is usually a sign that it will stall within seconds after.

The problem seemed to go away when the car cooled down. At first the stalling seemed to happen based on what I said in my 1st paragraph. But yesterday while driving home the car stalled at the lights. This case, the car was just driving in slower speed rush hr traffic and not on the hwy.

Because the car is not throwing a code with the engine light, my mechanic suggested that I continue to drive and allow the car to fail on more of a regular basis until we can simulate the problem in front of him. He says it could be several things, and replacing parts here or there would simply be an educated guess and potentially would cost me $$$.

My fear is that allowing it to get worse and fail could lead to dangerous situations on the road for me and others. Specially if the car decides to stall on the hwy at 60+mph and having someone close on my ***.

My 1st step is to check to see if the ignition switch recall (02-031) had been done as it may be a problem. This is a cheap process and shouldn't cost me anything.

If anyone has any suggestions on this issue, I would appreciate it.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

1) If when the car stalls, it seems to lose all power (all dash lights OFF), then you might have a bad ignition switch.

After the car stalls and won't immediately start, here's what to do to pinpoint the problem.

2) Listen for the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming for two seconds when the key is turned to ON(II). No priming sound might suggest a bad main relay.

3) Check for spark at the plugs. No spark would indicate a bad ICM or coil in the distributor.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
HCF Member

Fill up the tank and see if the problem disappears. If it does, and then reappears when the tank gets increasingly low your pick up screen may have detached from your fuel pump.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When it is about to stall, can you keep it going by pressing on the gas pedal lightly? If so it is probably your Idle Air Control Valve, a common problem. Try cleaning it out first, because new ones are rather expensive.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:16 AM

So I just confirmed that my car has an outstanding recall for the ignition switch. The car is going under the knife today to have it installed. Researching further into it, the systems from a faulty ignition switch mirrored my problems so I am hoping it will be resolved by tomorrow after a new switch is installed.

But to answer some of your questions, the car silently dies without rought idling, burping or any noises. I do hear a humming sound (fuel pump?) when I turn the key back on. New plugs have been installed not to long ago and It doesn't seem to be a fuel pump issue as it has stalled on a full and low tank.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

it's always a good idea to have the ignition switch replaced first and then deal with the symptoms if they arise. but from the way you describe the situation, it sure sounds like the ignition switch is faulty for sure. I had mine replaced a while back and haven't had any issues.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by klam
So I just confirmed that my car has an outstanding recall for the ignition switch. The car is going under the knife today to have it installed. Researching further into it, the systems from a faulty ignition switch mirrored my problems so I am hoping it will be resolved by tomorrow after a new switch is installed.
As helpful information, please tell members what specific symptoms are mentioned in the recall and which of the symptoms were observed for your car.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Ronj, here is the link to the systems due to a faulty ignition switch.

The switch has been replaced and the Honda mechanic was confident that my stalling problems stems from a faulty switch. Lets hope he is right. I won't have a chance to really try it until I take it back on the hwy as it doesn't seem to stall during city driving.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Default **update**

Well, its only been a few days but I am happy to report that my stalling issues have been resolved *fingers crossed*.

I took it on the hwy over the weekend on several occasions and the Civic seems to be fine, no stalling whatsoever.

I am glad I stumbled across that link that I posted earlier otherwise I would have never known what the problem was which could have lead to potential huge dollars in repair and diagnostic fees trying to figure it out.

Thanks to the internet and of course that link and all your comments and suggestions.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Default Civic stall problem

Just want to share that we found out abou the recall on this forum. We had a car brought to dch honda about this problem but they gave us a different diagnostic and end up spending and still having stalling problem. So disappointing thar honda technician never told us that there's a recall.

Quick Reply: 99 civic stalling issues