Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 ex cel codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Default 99 ex cel codes

My cel came on. I wanted to know if I need anything special to check the code or if I can just use the paper clip or wire method with a 99'? and If I can where is it located?

Old 07-14-2006, 01:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 99 ex cel codes

On previous models it was located on the passanger's side under the dashboard by the door. However, since you have OBD II you can take your car to AutoZone and they will pull the code for free. Write down the code and you can go from there with the diagnosis of the problem. I wouldn't take the advice of the AutoZone guy b/c he/she might not always be correct. You could even post the code on here and some1 should be able to help you.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:28 PM

Thank You, Much appreciated!!

Old 07-14-2006, 04:05 PM

Just curious, what is the paper clip wire method? I have a 1996 EX Coupe.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:49 PM
HCF Member

i was wondering also; sounds like something one would use to reset a router and/or a modem.
maybe he thought you would do that with an ecu ??

Old 07-16-2006, 12:47 AM

I saw a how to on this acura/honda site where this guy had like a 97 and under the glove box he stuck a paperclip in the housing and the check engine light flashed and told you what the code was. long flash = 10 short = 1. Anyways I still havnt get it checked yet but my father in law made a weird suggestion. He said that on hondas when you dont tighten you gas cap it could cause your cel to come on. Is this true because when he told me I went to check it and it was loose. It still hasnt gone off but he said it takes a while and go ahead and run a tank of gas through it.... what do you guys think?

Old 07-16-2006, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

maybe it is different on the II - since i guess i have not graduated to that stage - but all the ones that i have dealt with had led's that flash , may have to consult a manual to understand how the code is read
my 88 honda has a single LED; a nissan truck i worked on had 3 LEDs as i recall. so you read or count the blinks, then from that you have a code number, then refer to the book to see what it references. sometimes they are hard to read, though. the nissan truck was very confusing.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:17 PM

So, has anyone ever heard of the loose gas cap deal???

Old 07-16-2006, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

well, yes - there is this deal about gas caps - but that is on lawn mowers. need a hole in the gas cap in order to run. there is usually 3 holes in them.

Oh, you mean cars, though. no - i have driven without one; and haynes does not say anything - that is the haynes up to 1991.
gas caps hold pressure - but that is so that the vapors from the gas do not go up into the atmosphere - does add up with all the cars in the US ; and the heat nowdays is so much more.

just dont know of any performance issue.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM

ROFL,
so I took my car up to autozone, they run the cel test. 1456 was the code, and yea fglaustin you were wrong bud. The entry for that code is a fuel pressure malfunction. And the gas cap was loose the other day and the cel went off and hasnt came back on. And what made me feel even more better was I took off the gas cap on my ZX3 and on the cap it says, tight cap well or engine light may come on. I know its a ZX3 but my wifes civic must apply. anyways this is just for the folks whose cel comes on and may want to check this as an easy fix.

btw when I was at autozone I put in a new batter and recharged the AC..... I love my wifes civic...

Quick Reply: 99 ex cel codes