Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 si WONT START!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Default 99 si WONT START!

i have a 99 si obd2 b16a2 and it wont start....i have fuel, i have spark, the timing is right, and i have compression, but it wont start...it
cranks over but will not start...any suggestions or anything...

Old 05-14-2006, 08:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 99 si WONT START!

Does it crank slow, fast, or normal? How did you test the fuel, spark, timing, and compression?

Old 05-14-2006, 08:03 PM

it cranks normal, and my friend checked all that stuff...im not to great with that stuff. but i know he took each plug out and did that, and the spark plugs are getting black so theres fuel
but it all seems normal, just wont start

Old 05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
HCF Member

Are the spark plugs wet? A good test for fuel is to crank the engine over and spray carb cleaner though the throttle body. If the engine starts then fuel is your problem. If there is fuel, spark, and compression then your engine should start. It could be that air isn't getting to the cylinders, but i don't think that is likely. Maybe if the intake manifold is very badly clogged then air wouldn't get to the cylinders. If there was something wrong in the cylinder head, you wouldn't get fuel and i doubt all the passages for air in the head would be clogged.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

how do you know it has spark?

Old 05-14-2006, 10:12 PM

i dont know...i think im going to break down and take it to honda tomorrow...$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but i need it fixed, i just order wheels, tires and lowering springs
and now it breaks...how annoying

Old 05-14-2006, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

how many miles are on it? I will bet ya its the coil.............

Old 05-15-2006, 09:06 AM

there is 92,000 miles on it, and what do u mean the coil? im not great with engines, but im trying to learn, thats why i want to fix it myself and not have the dealer do it...

Old 05-15-2006, 06:07 PM
HCF Member

When he says coil, he means the ignition coil. The ignition coil creates a spark that goes to the spark plug. You first need to establish that you actually do have fuel and spark, until you do this there isn't much we can do. Pull one of the spark plug wires and put it next to the engine block and have someone crank the engine over. If you see sparks coming out of the wire then you have spark. You can also put a spark plug at the end of the wire after you take it out, that might be easier to see.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:48 PM

i did that with all 4 plugs, and you can smell the fuel...still nothing...this really knowledgable guy at my local tuner shop...extreme parts if anyone is familar with southeastern WI, but anyway.....he said that it might be the distributor? and how do i take that off?
anyone got a picture

Quick Reply: 99 si WONT START!