Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC Compressor kicking on and off

Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 PM
HCF Member
Default AC Compressor kicking on and off

My compressor kicks on and off every few seconds on my '97 EX. I added a little refrigerant about a month ago because it was slightly low. It wasn't getting very cool, that's why I checked it then. Heard that it could be a relay or sensor or something, but not sure where they are.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You may have overcharged the system with refrigerant. Check with a manifold gauge set and do it before the compressor is destroyed.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 PM
HCF Member

I did go a little over when I charged it, but I let some out and checked it with a gauge. I forget which color was the okay range, but it was just at the top of it.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the condenser fan working? Should be on all the time the compressor is on.

Don't add refrigerant unless you know both pressures. The single color coded gauge is a joke. You can't actually tell what the system is doing with it.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
HCF Member

No, the condenser fan is not coming on. After letting rest a bit, the compressor is coming on and the ac is cooling, but no fan. I guess that could be a problem?
The gauge I was using had several colored ranges that meant something different. I don't remember what each color stood for. I was reading the instructions for the gauge as I was using it. It did show the pressure in numbers as well. All's I know is that I left it charged at the top of the section it was supposed to be at according to the gauge's instructions.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:40 PM

Did you use a recharge can that has a small multi-colored gauge on the top of it (it usually has a trigger to discharge the freon), or was it a set of 2 gauges with 2 or 3 long lines coming off of it? (the lines would be red, yellow, and blue)

Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Swap the clutch and fan relays. Does the fan now run? If so, replace the fan relay.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM
HCF Member

It was one line and one gauge. I had to remove the gauge to connect the refrigerant can tap. Then close the tap, remove it and reattach the gauge to check the pressure.

I'll have to search my service manual to find out where those relays are. Then I'll check 'em.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Name:  picture_3681.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  71.4 KB

Old 07-30-2010, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

That didn't work. Fan still didn't come on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Compressor kicking on and off