Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Advancing the Timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 11-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Default RE: Advancing the Timing

how do I know that they are exactly the right ones. I saw the picture. but are they in a plug holder are are they actualy hooked up to something. And the distributor is a square black box. all I have to do is turn it, one way or the other huh?
*also does the tank have to be all premium or can I have a quarter tank regular and the rest premium??? Thanks a million

-*/-*/ I noticed yesterday I took a timing light to my engine. I set it to 18* and the middle of the three marks were already lined up with the point on the block. what does that mean. I assume I still have to put it to the farthest mark. thanks/*-/*-

Old 11-14-2004, 11:14 AM
HCF Member

the middle mark is the one the factory is aiming for, 3:1 ratio of gas should be fine for now. and yes, still move it to the farthest one.
I want to advance my timing too but I'm not going to turn the distributor to do it.

I think I might get some cam gears and do it that way... timing lights are a must for the DIYer.
uhh, 2000si, cam timing is totally different than ignition timing...

Old 11-14-2004, 01:04 PM

yes I know that sac. adjusting the cam timing will give you gains, and it's easier to do than ****ing with your distributor.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 2000Si

yes I know that sac. adjusting the cam timing will give you gains, and it's easier to do than f***ing with your distributor.
k first off, you are a moderator, so watch your launguage. second, how is it easier to change the cam gears, then every time you want to make an adjustment you have to take off the valvecover and timing belt covers to get to the 3-8 bolts on each that you loosen and adjust it to what you want, then tighten them back and put it all back together to test it again. unless you want to cut up your valve cover. then it is possible to do it while its together. all that instead of hooking up a timing light, loosening 3 12mm bolts, turning the dizzy a little, tightening them back up and youre done?

Old 11-14-2004, 02:26 PM

Easier as in safer to do, especially for any novice tuner which is pretty much all we have on this site.

and I really could care less, so don't tell me what to do.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

cam timing is WAY more advanced than ignition timing. im not sure where youre getting your info, but you might want to check up on it a little more. and you can hurt your motor just as easily with cam timing.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:14 PM

OK... I found the hook up you were talking about. And yet again i managed to find another problem! You said it was probably a connector two wires hooked up to it, and that yours has three. I pulled it out, but while I was looking I found one with three holes and three wires. The other one had two holes and two wires!!! which one is it?!? They are both blue tipped connectors.

Thanks, big time.
sorry for being a nuisance

Old 11-14-2004, 11:20 PM
HCF Member

no problem. it the 2 wire one.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:26 PM

I was looking to do this too, but at what point, do you turn off the engine to adjust the pulley? Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Advancing the Timing