Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Aftermarket vs. OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Default Aftermarket vs. OEM?

Hi guys. I have a 99 DX Hatch that I recently wrecked. I need front end parts and I could try the boneyard but that's a hassle with the weather now. I checked on-line and found prices for aftermarket are a lot cheaper. My question is, are aftermarket parts usually a good fit like OEM? Reason I ask is because I would replace the parts myself and I'd like to do it as cheap as possible. Anyone have experience with AM body parts? The paets I need would be the RF fender, RF headlight, steel bumper cross-beam, and the plastic bumper cover. Any help and opinions are appreciated!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:27 AM
HCF Member

I recently just replaced the entire front clip on my 99 civic and I must say things did not line up perfectly.
You should not have any problems getting the bumper to fit since it just bolts onto the radiator support.
The fender should line up for the most part, you might have to have someone hold it in place while you bolt it down, that way it runs parallel to the hood.
It's possible that the bottom lip of the fender where the headlight bolts to will not line up. You might have to hit that flap with a hammer to bend it so it lines up, atleast I had to.
Putting the bumper cover on is going to be the toughest part, I really had to force it to get the holes lined up so I could push a rivet through. SAVE YOUR OLD RIVETS IF POSSIBLE. Honda charges like $5 per rivet and the AM rivets off the internet suck.
If you're replacing one headlight, just buy one from the junkyard, but if you go AM, you can buy a cheap kit off ebay, JUST MAKE SURE YOU SILICONE the top of the headlights and fill the rubber grommet with silicone once you have all the wires puled through it and its seated on the back of the headlight. AM headlights are notorious for leaking!

You can buy primered ready to paint AM body parts for cheap, but if you plan on painting, the paint is not cheap! Also if you plan on clear coating, well that's a whole other ordeal...

Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Hey, thanks so much for the info! I have been searching on-line and found out about Platinum and Capa certified parts which are supposed to be just like OEM. And I know what you mean about getting the holes to line up, I once took off a 2009 CRV front cover, so many clips and tabs to pop in just right!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

after market body parts are always hit or miss but i wouldn't count on them lining up perfectly. also look into a company called certifit for cheap parts Certifit Online