Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Air Conditioning - Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 PM

sir i need your advice... i've found out that relays are ok... i think that there is a leak somewhere in my cooling system and i've run out of refrigerant (R134a) that's why based on the forums that i've read (If the compressor keeps cycling on and off frequently, the system is low on or possibly run out of refrigerant). If my cooling system suspects that there is a leak, is my expansion valve, thermostat and dryer will be replaced/affected? what are the possible part/s to be replaced in order to fix the leak before recharging the R134a... my A/C CONDENSER FAN ASSEMBLY, RADIATOR FAN MOTOR are working properly.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 AM

Good Morning, I have a 2007 Civic EX 5spd and am also having intermittent air conditioning problems. There does seem to be a relationship between air/car temperature and system operation. The air will run for the first 15 to 30 minutes and then stop or will sometimes stop breifly and restart and then stop again. If the car is left for long enough to allow the system to cool (more than 20 minutes) then the air will start again. I tried changing the relays (as the relays were hot) and this did not solve the problem and the dealer is now suggesting that I need a new compressor but this will run about $1,000.00.

Based on the discussion about the 2001 it sounds like my options are: too large a gap at the clutch or a faulty AC switch.

Is the system for the 07 different from the 01 and are there other options that have not been touched on to this point.

Many thanks
shercan

Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm not sure about the '07 but it should be a similar system to the 01-05 generation. There is going to be a wire that leads to the clutch on the compressor. Test if the car is supplying power to that wire when the compressor should be running but it isn't. If not, there is a problem with the car side of things. If there is power, the car is trying to engage the compressor but it won't, so try adjusting the clutch. Many mechanics don't want to tinker with things like that, they'd rather replace the whole compressor.

Last edited by mk378; 08-12-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Im goint to try and bring back an old thread, Im sure my clutch is the prob because when the a/c does not work the cluch is not spinning. BUT it will if I tap it with a piece of metal. From what I have read I need to remove a shim and maybe clean the clutch? My car is a 98 ex coupe, can I do it without removing the compressor?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Well I think I fixed my problem. I did a bit of searching and I turned up that I had to remove a shim from the clutch to my compressor. The coil is trying to pull the clutch in but because of the added gap it does not always work. I rented a clutch removal tool from autozone and removed the clutch. I did not have to remove the compressor to do this on my 98 civic ex. To get to the bolt I had to remove the motor mount. Once removed I only had one shim between the compressor and clutch. I removed it and cleaned both clutch and compressor surfaces with carb cleaner. I did put blue thread lock because I read it was common for the clutch to just fall off. Tried to find the tourqe specs but could not find. When bolt is torqued make sure the clutch spins freely. You also have to check the gap with a feeler gauge which should be between 0.014-0.026 inches. Hopefully this will hold up for a long time. BUT MY QUESTION NOW IS DOES THE COMPRESSOR HAVE TO HAVE A SHIM. SHOULD I LOOK FOR A THINNER ONE OR CAN I RUM MY COMORESSOR WITH OUT ONE. If someone can please answer this I would appreciate it so I can start driving the car cause I dont want to mess it up if it needs a shim

Attached Thumbnails  Air Conditioning - Intermittent-sl370213.jpg    Air Conditioning - Intermittent-sl370204.jpg    Air Conditioning - Intermittent-sl370205.jpg  
Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You can run with no shim, as long as the clutch doesn't rattle or drag when off. Once the clutch is worn some you need to take shims out (possibly all of them) to compensate for wear.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Default a/c works intermitantly

hi i have a 02 civic and up till last fall the a/c worked great. but now it seems to work when it wants too. i vac and recharged twice. replaced the compressor and the thermal protector and also the reciever drier. seems to work when first started up then will quit. the condensor fans operate as if the compressor is engaged but the clutch is not engaging. am i chasing a sensor/switch issue or a control unit issue. no codes are stored in the control panel.......help...driving me nuts...and no there are no leaks in system...help

Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by vikings19
hi i have a 02 civic and up till last fall the a/c worked great. but now it seems to work when it wants too. i vac and recharged twice. replaced the compressor and the thermal protector and also the reciever drier. seems to work when first started up then will quit. the condensor fans operate as if the compressor is engaged but the clutch is not engaging. am i chasing a sensor/switch issue or a control unit issue. no codes are stored in the control panel.......help...driving me nuts...and no there are no leaks in system...help
test, or try replacing, the compressor clutch relay

Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Swap the compressor relay with one of the other ones in the underhood fuse box. Also while you have the relay out look for melted or burnt connections where the relay plugs into.

When it is not cooling, pull over and open the hood (leave the engine running and the A/C button pressed). Confirm the radiator fans are both running and the compressor not engaged. If that is the case, read post #25 about taking the shims out. ("New" compressors are also sometimes set up with too large a gap.) If the compressor is engaged but no cooling there is a different problem.

As it gets cold once, the amount of refrigerant is OK. There aren't gremlins under the hood taking it out and putting it back in.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 AM

Hey,

I am having the same issue with my 2009 Civic. The air conditioning will work intermittently and more so when you first start a trip but as the trip goes on the A/C tends to just blow warm air. I have already tried changing the A/C clutch relay but the problem still exists. If anyone has any specific information on how what items to check it would be appreciated as I would prefer to tackle this on my own.

Thanks,

P