Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alarm System - Any Help Much Appreciated! Thank you everyone.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Default Alarm System - Any Help Much Appreciated! Thank you everyone.

Hi All! I bought my 94 Civic DX 2Dr Coupe second hand and it came with an aftermarket alarm system. I'm not sure what brand it was but my keys say "Kodiak" on them with some digits afterwards. Recently however the siren/speaker stopped working and the volume gradually decreased and worked intermittently. The rest of the system works however and I can still remotely lock/unlock my car. The speaker sits near the driver's side/steering wheel inside the hood (basically opposite where the battery would be).

I would like to fix/replace this speaker if possible because I *really* don't want to pay for a whole new alarm system + installation fees. Does anyone know if it is possible to find a replacement speaker by itself or maybe have a suggestion as to the root cause as why my speaker failed? It would save me a LOT of money.

Thank you so much for your time - it is greatly appreciated!

[Edit] Btw I just recalled that I once blew the fuse for my stereo but did replace it and now my stereo works fine. Would this affect the operation of my alarm speaker?

Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Default RE: Alarm System - Any Help Much Appreciated! Thank you everyone.

You can replace it with any two wire siren you find. I would check ebay.
As far as what caused it, hard to say.
Could be wiring, could just be the siren going bad.
Also they are supposed to point towards the ground in the remote chance that water gets in it, it will drain out

Old 04-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if the sirens not working very good just check the sirens ground wire.... if they just wraped the wire around a screw and it coroded that could make the siren not sound as loud or not work at all....

Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 AM

Thanks so much for your replies. I actually got VERY lucky yesterday and I went to Best Buy to ask about it. Turns out they had a spare siren from a Viper alarm that was lying around and the guy charged me $10 cash and installed it for free! It's even louder than my old one and now it works like a charm.