Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Another car overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Default Another car overheating

So I have a really old Civic ('84) Sedan and it recently started overheating. It was running fine Thursday night, I took it back to my friends house. I got up and drove a friend to his house, and we noticed "smoke" coming from under the hood as we were stopped at a stop sign. I then noticed how high my temp. gauge was, as high as it could go, "off the charts" so to say. I checked to make sure it wasn't the rad. fan because it was a fairly hot day. It was working fine. I noticed the "smoke" was coming from the coolant reservoir area. I assumed it was the coolant and I tried driving home after letting it cool off for a while. I made it halfway when my car died at a stop light. I got it out of the way and waited about 15 minutes, got it to start again and made my way home. The car was making a very loud rattling sound whenever I accelerated. It died once more in my driveway when I got home. Again, I waited and started it back up to move it a little bit. I checked the oil and it was very low, although the oil levels have been fine. I haven't noticed any oil leaks either. I also attempted to check my coolant levels but the reservoir is in an extremely awkward spot and I can't read the levels at all. I added some new oil and drove it around just now, it's been sitting since that day. It again overheated, though the oil levels are fine. I don't want to run it anymore until I can diagnose this. I don't have any coolant on me to add either. Any help? Thanks!

Old 08-28-2006, 03:07 PM
gwl
HCF Member
Default RE: Another car overheating

Your oil is going somewhere, check the fluid in the radaitor when your engine is cold. How does it look? I would drain it to see if you have oil mixed in. Sound like you blown a head gasket and possibly damaged your cylinder head. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2006, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

sounds like a hose is leaking

Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

Run a compression test, i got my money on the head gasket.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:37 PM

sounds like a stuck thermostat to me. pull it out and see what it does