Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Another Honda with starting problems!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Default Another Honda with starting problems!

Hey there everyone. I am new here (kinda) been here before but I lost my old account.

Ok, So here we go. I have a 2002 Honda civic LX that is running (not running lol) into some problems.
First off, my car would start run and then upon the car reaching operating temp would cut out at idle. When it would die I could always get it running again. Although it might take a couple of cranks to get rolling again. That is until I stop, thats when it would die again and if it did die, I could usually kill the car by turning the steering wheel. But that is not all! I have replaced part after part after part trying to find out this issue. I had a second car that I had the chance to try parts out to find my problem Here we go

I have replaced-
Ignition Switch(tested with another)
Main relay(tested with another)
Fuel pump Relay
Power steering pressure switch
Spark plugs
Air filter
Valve cover gasket
cleaned throttle body and Iacv
Coroded crank sensor connector was replaced.

So, with all of these parts replaced and or tested. I felt it was time to replace the crank sensor, I did replace it with a junkyard sensor.
And Wa La like magic! The car started beautifully on the first crank Faster than it has ever before.....So I test drive my car and On the drive the car would'nt stall on me and the idle was strong and steady I fixed it! So i go to O'reillys to return the crank removal tool. I return to my car and bam. Crank no start. What the hell. It just started better than it had ever before.

2 Hours later after a tow home. I throw my battery on my charger. I wait 2 hours and then the car starts like butter. again.... So, I am fiddling with everything around the car and I cannot kill the car So i shut her down and restart a few times and then there it goes again. it wont start for me. By this time I am just entirely confused at what this could be. I check the voltage on the battery. Its at 12.4V off and 14.4V when it was running. I am checking wires and I find the wire running directly to the starter it ridiculously loose. I get it all tightened up. and now the car is starting, WOOH! So, its time for bed at 12pm and 27 degrees outside lol. I get up in the morning and she starts again!...so this evening when i get home i go for another test drive. I go about 10 miles, but my house is 11 miles away...When I pulled off of the highway the car stalled on me. but this time it wouldnt even crank. The lights went dim when I cranked the car, and it couldnt even make it past the first rotation of the motor. I called a friend who brought me a multimeter and I have 12.1V on the battery. So, with the car SOL, I pull the battery and threw it on the charger. Just hoping that I can start the car so I dont need to tow it again.

So, this is where I stand. I have replaced all kinds of stuff and as I go My issue just seems to move and morph into something else. I dont even know where to look any longer. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go from here?

Ps, I know i wrote a novel. but I have gone through so much and I just needed to express all that I have gone through with the vehicle.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Default Update:

I brought the battery home, and tossed it back on my charger. It was not completely charged back up but I had a ride back to my car and It started up just after a moment. So, I got to drive it home. Now, the real question. is this a battery issue? or am I still looking at a million other options. The battery seemed to hold a charge the last few weeks of driving the car. But now that the sensor is changed and the starter tightened back up I am experiencing different symptoms. could it be the main relay failing after the car is warm?

Old 12-17-2017, 02:58 PM

Anyone have any ideas?...

For an additional update, I just replaced all ground wires and went for a drive. I made it around a mile drove it back home and I pulled back into the driveway. I went to see if it starts back up a moment later and no go, crank no start agian.

I have unplugged my aftermarket radio to be sure its not pulling power, and made sure the battery is charged and charging, all is well there. It is cold outside, and I have had the heat on. for the tests. I believe that I am going to go ahead and replace the main relay (even though I tested it with a known good one) Since I have replace my crank sensor. my symptoms have changed.