Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car starting problem... (and another quick question)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Default car starting problem... (and another quick question)

basically the other day i went to mc donalds, turned off my car, car lights, everything... then took out the key and just sat in my car to eat... then afterwards when i was done, i went to turn it on... and i could hear it... erm... turning... it wasn't the clicking noise it was that zzzzz noise or w/e lol... but it wouldn't turn on... another thing is, my lights and radio still turned on so apparently it wasn't my battery cuz i later checked the voltage on the battery (12V+ w/ engine off and 14V+ w/ engine on) but ne way... even though i guess it wasn't the battery... i got a jump start and the jump start got my engine to turn on and i haven't had a problem since... yet again it's only been 2 days... so now basically i'm just wondering... what was the problem? was it the starter? was it the alternater (which i don't think so)? or maybe something else?

then another quick question... when i put the light inside the car to auto, it won't turn on when i open the door... and i already checked the circuit... so i'm guessing it's the sensor maybe? anybody know where the sensor of the door is?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: car starting problem... (and another quick question)

Try cleaning and tightening the battery connectors and electrodes as they be corroded or loose.

Does opening either the passenger or driver door fail to turn the dome light ON? Does the dome light turn ON with the dome light switch?

Old 03-11-2008, 02:23 PM

ya i cleaned out the battery connectors just in case... but it was kind of weird how a jump start got the car running when it wasn't the battery that was the problem... any idea? maybe it was just a one time thing that happened... but i'd like to know why... :-\

as far as the door... when i have it set to Auto it won't turn on when i open/close any door... when it's off... well of course it stays off, and when it's on it turns on... so i'm "guessing" it's the sensors but i'm not sure... so i was wondering where the sensors of the door is located, unless u think it might be something else...

Old 03-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Why do you say that the battery wasn't the problem? The fact that jump starting the battery got the engine running would suggest otherwise. Anyway, hopefully cleaning the battery terminals and connectors eliminates problems in the future.

As for the dome light issue, I agree that the door switch is the prime candidate. What year and model Civic?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:34 PM

cuz well like i said i tested the battery already

Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 PM

did u test the batter after running the car for a while? the alternator may have charged the battery enough to show its at the correct voltage but the battery may not be holding its own charge. how old is the battery? how often has it died on you?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 PM
HCF Member

yeah ur alternator could be on its last legs because that happened to me in my old car.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 AM
HCF Member

maybe ur battery is good for the most part but when u put a load on it (starting it) it cant hold up. iv already went through 3 batteries with the same prob, it usually happens when u have a pretty powerful sound system. or if u have a capacitor (dont think i spelled that right). if u do, take it out and see if u have the same prob