Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Deduce the Problem from the Clues - Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:37 AM
djt
Default Deduce the Problem from the Clues - Starting Problem

My first post here!

1996 Civic DX automatic, airport and commute car.

I put the key in the ignition, and turned it. There was a light clicking from the vicinity of the glove compartment for about 3 seconds. Nothing else. The radio worked, the interior dome light worked, and the horn worked. Nothing else worked - not the headlights, wipers, fan, idiot lights. The car could not be shifted out of park with the key turned. The battery is relatively new and the terminals looked fresh. Icouldn't try tojump the car since I couldn't get access to the engine since I could not roll the car in park! Butthe clicking under the glove compartment made me think it was not the battery.

Any guesses? It sounds like some major relay that powers all the systems failed.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Deduce the Problem from the Clues - Starting Problem

You can shift out of park by first pushing a key into the slot near the shift lever to override the interlock.

Check the main fuses under the hood. Does the dome light go out when you turn the key? If it does there is either very little charge in the battery or bad connections at the battery.