Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Intermittent Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Default Intermittent Starting Problem

I have a 1990 Honda Civic. I have been having this odd intermittent starting problem for a year now. It ONLY has difficulty starting when the weather is hot. In the morning, everning/night, and during the fall/winter it starts like a champ, on the first crank every time. But during the hottest parts of the day it just won't. It sounds like it wants to but just doesn't. Now if I wait 30 minutes or so and try again it starts normally.

I have gotten a tune up, changed the fuel filter, air filter, flushed the radiator, and checked the battery but the problem persists in this very predictible way. I read from someone else's post that for many Hondas the main relay is the culprit so last weekend I bought a new main relay from the auto parts store. Much to my dismay, the starting problem persists.

What am I not thinking of?? What else could pose such a specific problem--starting problems during the hottest part of the day only, reliably starts 30 minutes after first attempt, never a problem at night or during winter?

Old 09-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Default RE: Intermittent Starting Problem

i have a 91 and im having a similar problem but its not olnly the starting it cuts out when im driving too...im going to change the fuel pump next weekend because thats what i think it is after much reashearch....when u turn your key on do you hear your fuel pump work/pump....you should hear a wiring noise...also another test for you is try turning your key on but not starting the car and wait a min or so and see if it starts right up.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:41 PM

At hot times of the day even if the car has not been used?

Are you using any throttle? I have had similar problems with another car (Volkswagen Golf GTi) when it is hot (the engine and the climate) and its down to fuel evaporation.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:04 PM

I have the same problem. what research i did came up with the relay. the makisuba or whatever relay posts aren't soldered correctly. I f you remove the relay its real simple to resolder the posts. Just buy a 25 watt solder iron from radioshack and some pcb solder from them too. take the black cover off of the relay and resolder the posts on the back of the relay easy as pie. See when the car gets hot the solder retracts or expands and causes a gap that prevents the current to flow thus not enabling the fuel pump to charge the system.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:49 AM
ger

Hi All,
I have been reading all the info on this subject for a long time now. Looks like this main relay might be the problem. Is the main relay on the back of the fuse block? By the way I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX. I looked under the dash and it is pretty tight quarters. Is the relay plugged in or held in with screws? Any information well help a lot.
Thanks.
ger

Old 08-12-2005, 06:19 PM

I have this same problem on my 94 Civic LX...I could get the old relay to work by rapping it against the inside of the car...I replaced the main relay today and I think it fixed my problem

Old 08-12-2005, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: shoobie

I have this same problem on my 94 Civic LX...I could get the old relay to work by rapping it against the inside of the car...I replaced the main relay today and I think it fixed my problem
thanks.