Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

another spark plug wire question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Default another spark plug wire question...

I just finished a tune-up of my girlfriend's 2000 EX coupe a couple weeks ago - new fuel filter, air filter, platinum plugs, wires (Belden), distrib. cap, and rotor. Everything was running smooth until last week when it started missing really bad. I pulled over and discovered that one of the spark plug wires had loosened itself off the distributor cap. I reattached it and it seemed to solve the problem, but now I fear that I fouled the plug or ruined the wire that slipped off. Now when I drive it, I'm paranoid about every little thing that could be a hesitation or "loking" when the VTEC comes on...

Any ideas?

Old 06-07-2005, 07:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: another spark plug wire question...

it should be fine. though some wires seem to have that problem, so it could become a regular occurance. if so, get some new wires.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Default RE: another spark plug wire question...

ORIGINAL: dml955i

I just finished a tune-up of my friend's 2000 EX coupe a couple weeks ago - new fuel filter, air filter, platinum plugs, wires (Belden), distrib. cap, and rotor. Everything was running smooth until last week when it started missing really bad. I pulled over and discovered that one of the spark plug wires had loosened itself off the distributor cap. I reattached it and it seemed to solve the problem, but now I fear that I fouled the plug or ruined the wire that slipped off. Now when I drive it, I'm paranoid about every little thing that could be a hesitation or "loking" when the VTEC comes on...

Any ideas?
Oddly enought last week the exact same thing happened to me, right after I did my oil change. Coming off the off ramp I noticed a real loss of power and the car sputtered and bogged like crazy! Pulled over, popped the hood, and poked my head around the engine bay for about 5 min... Couldn't find anything wrong or fluids leaking. checked the oil... good level. I finally noticed, well..... the spark plug wire going to the #4 cyl. popped off the distributer! I was like...WTF?!?!? So I pinched the metal clip in an effort to make it calmp on harder and drove of on my merry way. Just thought I'd post that. As for your problem... i don't know what to tell you. Good Luck with whatever it is though! Mine had no problems after that though. Just slight hesitation of the motor at first cause it was burning off whatever gas was left in the cylinder. GOOD LUCK!