Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Another Speedometer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Another Speedometer Problem

First off, I did an extensive search for speedometer problems and found some good answers, but I need some more information.

I have a '98 LX and have succumbed to the infamous speedometer malfunction. Here's mine in particular:

My "malfunction indicator lamp" came on and my speedometer just simply goes berserk. Sometimes it will just sit at zero, and sometimes it will jump around. The odometer only works when the speedometer is jumping around. Like some of the other threads have indicated, I checked my #15 fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and took it for a drive and the speedometer still did the same thing. I checked the fuse again and it was blown again.

I took it to my mechanic and he said that it is not the speed sensor, it is the wiring somewhere. I also read in some of the threads that there is a common problem with wires rubbing on stuff and shorting out. I am assuming this is the problem. (?)

My mechanic said that it would take him 3 to 4 days to track down the wiring problem. Since this seems to be a "common" problem, you guys could be my savior.

So here are my questions: Since the fuse is for the alternator/speed sensor, does this mean that with the fuse blown, am I running directly off the battery so that if I drive it too long like this, will I simply run the battery dead? I have a GPS unit that shows mph that is pretty accurate, so I could use that, but if the battery goes dead after a while, that won't do me any good.I am pretty much car illiterate so I could really use some help tracking down the wire problem. Could someone please tell me / show me the wires I should be looking at for problems (rubbed off insulation, broken wires, shorts, etc.)?How do I test for the wiring problems?[/ol] Please someone help me, I can't afford to drive my 4x4 truck to work 67 miles each way for a week while my mechanic messes with my wiring.

Thank you,

Scott

Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Another Speedometer Problem

The wiring rubs thru and shorts behind the engine. From underneath the car, inspect the harness that goes across under the intake manifold to the alternator. I think it rubs on the bracket that supports the manifold. Tell your mechanic to look there. Or you can fix it yourself with some electrical tape.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 AM
HCF Member

Scott,

take a look at this thread. it seems to be describing the same issues.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_501475/tm.htm

Old 07-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Here's another useful link with a picture of the wire harness area, which is most easily accessed from below the engine near the oil filter.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl021d.htm

Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

Thanks guys. I'll definately try and look for the problem once I get some time in the next couple days. I think the only problem I might have is being able to get underneath the car to look for things.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Buy a set of car ramps, and drive the front wheels of the car up on the ramps. They're also very handy for changing the oil yourself. For jobs that don't involve removing the wheels, ramps are a lot faster and safer than jacking the car up.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

Buy a set of car ramps, and drive the front wheels of the car up on the ramps. They're also very handy for changing the oil yourself. For jobs that don't involve removing the wheels, ramps are a lot faster and safer than jacking the car up.
my buddy let me borrow his ramps the other day and to my disapointment, the front fender gets in the way.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah the ramps I have are real close on my stock '91. You don't want the tall truck sized ones. Of course if your car is lowered you're going to have to use a jack.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:37 PM
HCF Member

Okay, I can't thank you guys enough for your help.

I borrowed ramps from my dad and crawled under my car today. It took a second to figure out what I was seeing, but as soon as I saw the intake manifold bracket I noticed the wires touching it. I pushed the wires back and low and behold there were a few wires that were stripped.

I took the bracket off, wrapped three of the wires with electrical tape, wrapped the whole set of wires with electrical tape, duct taped a piece of rubber to the bracket (to prevent future rubbing), put the bracket back on, and replaced the fuse.

Then I took the car out for a test drive, and the MIL light was off and the speedometer worked just like it did before.

You guys saved me probably a couple hundred dollars!!

Thanks again.

Scott

Old 07-05-2008, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

sday88, that's good news. glad we were able to help.

Quick Reply: Another Speedometer Problem