Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Antifreeze boiling in radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Default RE: Antifreeze boiling in radiator

ORIGINAL: mk378

I'm not sure exactly what you did. To make sure you are isolating the test to only the motor, unplug it and run your test wires right to the pins in the motor plug. You need a (+) and a (-) wire to have a complete circuit to test it. If you jumper the fan motor to the battery it should start immediately without needing to turn the key on.

It may be simpler to test the fan out of the car, if it turns out to be bad you'll need to remove it anyway. The fan lifts out after taking the two bolts out of the top holding it to the radiator. You may need to remove the top radiator hose and push the A/C lines out of the way (DO NOT disconnect any A/C line connections, the refrigerant will blow out under high pressure. Simply take the bracket loose and push them toward the back of the car.)

So, will I ground out the (-) connection or do I hook it to the (-) terminal on the battery?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Either way works; going right to the battery (-) is a little more certain that it'll be connected securely.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:02 PM

OK,

So I'm guessing it's the motor. Took the fan out, tore the back off of the motor and hooked wires directly to the copper wires that ran in to the motor. Started the car and got nothing.

Question I have is do I need to put the fan back in (since it doesn't work) before running to Auto Zone to get a replacement motor?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Since it doesn't work, you might as well run to the store with the motor in your hand. On my Civic, there were two types of motors that Autozone carried for my Civic. Also, the new motor did not have the connectors on them. You have to use your old connector. Make sure you have the right polarity or the motor will turn the wrong way.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

I'm guessing you need a new radiator cap, need a new fan motor/switch, need a new temp sending unit, need a new water pump, and/or have a lot of corrosion.

Start testing before you start buying.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

i am having the same problem with my civic next thing you know on my civic about 2 months later my temp guage starts getting higher and i look in my radiator no antifreeze at all but when i do have antifreeze it dont boil over the top or anything like his does and my fan does not kick on either do you think i need a new radiator or what but they put a pressure test on my radiator it holds at 20 lbs. pressure and the car runs really good and about 38 mpg and i cant find any leaks anywhere and alos my oil is clean but what is weird my overfill tank stays where it is suppose to be but the radiator will be all empty i do not get it if anyone has answers than let me know should i get a new thermostat where should i start?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 AM

sounds like the fans are not working, i'm surprised you have not blown the engine by driving it without the fans running. Turn on the a/c, you should be able to hear the fans running if they are running.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:41 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Jimmyglendale
sounds like the fans are not working, i'm surprised you have not blown the engine by driving it without the fans running. Turn on the a/c, you should be able to hear the fans running if they are running.
Yeah I'm surprised his engine hasn't blown up after 3 years either..................................

Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by JakeyMan07
i am having the same problem with my civic next thing you know on my civic about 2 months later my temp guage starts getting higher and i look in my radiator no antifreeze at all but when i do have antifreeze it dont boil over the top or anything like his does and my fan does not kick on either do you think i need a new radiator or what but they put a pressure test on my radiator it holds at 20 lbs. pressure and the car runs really good and about 38 mpg and i cant find any leaks anywhere and alos my oil is clean but what is weird my overfill tank stays where it is suppose to be but the radiator will be all empty i do not get it if anyone has answers than let me know should i get a new thermostat where should i start?
Put a rad cap on it before you change the thermistat also check to make sure the resevior hose isn't bust either

Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM
HCF Member

Ok now on ist car if you go strait from the switch with a jumper wire to the fan and it don't work and then go striaght to the fan and it did work you could eliminate the rest of the fan control system for the most part and you problem lies in the wiring from the switch connector to the fan connector

Quick Reply: Antifreeze boiling in radiator