Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

axle shafts wearing from lowering job

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Wink axle shafts wearing from lowering job

Hey guys,

I got a 2000 civic si. it is lowered with tein coilovers and i have an adjustable skunk2 camber kit. i have replaced my axle shafts twice now since the lowering job and was told that the angle of the joints on the shaft is whats doing it. i was wondering if there was anthing i could do to stop the axle shafts from wearing or if ill have to just raise it back up.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM

How low are you exactly? You have a camber kit? What is the camber set to?

I have driven my car about 1" off the ground (as well as other members here) without any problems. What is happening to the axles? Are they snapping? Boots ripping? Popping out? Or just making noise in general.

Just wondering, was the car ever in an accident on one of the sides in the front?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:45 PM

its about 1 1/2 inches off the ground and i got the camber kit, not sure what its set at and every time i hit about 60 mph it starts to shake as well as a rattling noise from the front end that happens over every little bump. just got it back from the shop today and my ball joints, wheel bearings are all good and just said my axle shafts are bad. even though i just replaced them 6 mnths ago. the only advise i was given from the shop was to replace em over and over again or raise the suspension, " because of the angle of the axle shafts." it was rebuilt so who knows what happened before but when i had it looked at everything looked a ok..

Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 AM

Ahhh.... the rebuilt title is throwing a red flag to me. My first guess would be that the car got hit in the front, throwing every thing out of wack, which explains why you are having issues. I would look into it a little more, possibly get a carfax on the car and see what comes up. The vibrations you are feeling are probably the axle(s) binding. Either that or your wheels are not balanced properly, but that is a complete longshot.

You had no issues until you lowered the vehicle, correct?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM

it was lowered previous to me buying it so im not sure. would raising the suspension stop the problems with my axle shafts? and if so are most aftermarket coilovers adjustable?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM

Well if the coilovers weren't adjustable, they would be just springs. So yes, if they are in fact coilovers, you should be able to raise them.

From my experience with axles binding due to being too low (H22 swap), yes, raising the vehicle helped me out.

Were you ever able to get that carfax report? If you don't want to pay, you can always make a local FS listing on eBay, type the VIN in and get a free report that should be for the buyers looking at it. I did it with my car and got a free report since the local listings are free on eBay.