Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b18 or h22?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Default b18 or h22?

i have a ek hatch and i want to do a swap down the road. want to put the h22 for the power in but was wondering it it would be less of a pain to do a b18.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 AM

The B series would be easier.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
HCF Member

^^^^ LOL

yeah, it would be easier, especially if you're new to swaps. H22 swaps can have problems if you don't go with a proven formula of parts, ie, specific brands of mounts and axle combinations don't always work well together. HOWEVER - it can be done, and (from what I hear) the power of an H22 is undeniable... it will walk on type-R's all day.

or so I hear...

also, don't forget about the H2B (H22 connected to a b-series transmission using a special adapter plate). Its a great swap if you're looking for NA power!

But don't forget - if you plan on boosting down the road, the stock H22 sleeves WON'T accept forged pistons and the stock pistons won't hold up to much abuse from forced induction... so sleeving the engine prior to boost is a must

Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 AM

no boost. want to stay n/a. i found a site that has kits to put them in (mounts, shafts, throtle and shift linkages ecu....) just no header from swapshopracing.com so if i have all that then i think i should be good. just didnt know if i would need to do more cutting or anything for the h22 than the b.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 AM

Cutting? Are you talking about wiring, or cutting the vehicle?

I had to do no cutting (of the car) with my H22 swap that I know of. B series is a direct drop in.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 AM

well any custom fab work. wiring or body. didnt think there would be but i have never done a swap b4 in a honda. i have done swaps in old chevys but never in a honda. just want to know about any snags i might run into. seems like if i have all the right kits i shouldnt have that many problems. by the sounds of it the h22b would be the way to go. dont sound like its that much more difficult to do the h22.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 AM

H2b is less problematic than a straight H22. I wish I went H2b, but cash was running out.

With any swap, you will have to alter wiring. H series swaps will take more wiring work then a B series swap though.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 AM

thanks cvcrcr99 thats a big help. ill def keep that in mind.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 AM
HCF Member

look into H2B swaps. they're not as easy as you think. Many of them require either cutting or (at the very least) beating the frame rail with a hammer. I've seen people notch the frame rail and add some metal, but I really wouldn't suggest doing that. Also, you'll lose your power steering, but many people have rigged up an electric pump from the old Toyota MR2's and made it work.

H2B is not cut and dry in any way. But its a damn good swap, if you're willing to do the work.

There's a huge thread on Hondatech about it... so long as you can deal with all the douchebags...

Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 AM

thanks for the tip shandles, ill look into that too. i found a book on h22 swaps that app. specific so im going to pick that up too.

Quick Reply: b18 or h22?