Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Big ass scratch on fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
HCF Member
Default Big *** scratch on fender

Ok, I've been posting numerous stupid posts in the midst of other people's threads regarding actual serious problems, so if I get the cold shoulder, I understand. LOL. It's just that this is the only nice car I've owned. 6 piece of **** cars before I get something worth putting a bit of care into.

This is a paint related question. The guy I bought this car from claims the front driver side fender got all scratched up from an improperly-secured tire chain. Indeed, there is a couple really nice scratches that had begun to rust prior to my purchase (imagine cutting a McDonalds straw in half, about that long and that thick for one of the scratches). This is the only notable body damage on the car. At any rate, I live in Oregon and it's rainy as **** here during the winter. I'm really worried about this becoming cancerous and having to have part of the fender cut off or completely replaced. What kinda time-line do I have in terms of fixing a big scratch that has begun to rust in the past few months? The reason I ask is because I have other mechanical issues I'd like to sink my money into before delving into cosmetics...

Thanks, and if this kinda thing should be asked at a different forum / subforum, feel free to tell me to shut up.

Last edited by simons81; 01-18-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:15 AM

I'd say just buy a new fender... You can find a ton on criagslist for dirt cheap. Or if you don't, you can always fix rust too, but it's more cost effective to replace it when you can get a single stock fender for $20-$30.