HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   Bogging/sputtering at 1.7 RPM & check engine (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/bogging-sputtering-1-7-rpm-check-engine-74321/)

RonJ 04-09-2009 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by ShadowHatch (Post 635122)
im having the same type of problem with my 92 cx. Sputters below 2k rpm clears up past that. could the solution be the same?

Do you have a CEL code?

You may want to check the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and the ignition timing with a timing gun.

ShadowHatch 04-09-2009 11:15 PM

Just replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, and set the timing. It dosnt do it at start up, only after its warmed up.

ShadowHatch 04-09-2009 11:18 PM

I haven't pulled the codes since i did the work on it and i think the CEL is blown on the cluster i put in. I'm gonna check it and the codes tomorrow.

RonJ 04-10-2009 06:04 AM

Fix the CEL and go from there. Are we talking about a low idle problem here or something else? If you have a low idle problem, then clean the IAVC on the throttle body.

ShadowHatch 04-10-2009 10:36 PM

At start up it runs fine, after warming up it starts too sputter randomly when below 2k rpm. No matter rather it is at idle or accelerating. It when it misses at idle it causes it too drop rpm. I will know more as soon as i check the codes.

RonJ 04-11-2009 08:10 AM

Did you use a timing gun and was the service connector jumped when you set the ignition timing? Did you align the pointers with the red mark on the crank pulley?

ShadowHatch 04-12-2009 03:07 AM

I didnt set the timing myself a friend of mine did, since i don't own a timing light. However it ran fine for 2 days after the work was done. Do u think i should have that checked first?

RonJ 04-12-2009 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ShadowHatch (Post 635859)
Do u think i should have that checked first?

1) Number one priority -- fix the CEL. This is a crucial diagnostic system. Check whether the bulb burned out or whether a previous owner cut the Green/Orange wire at the gauge assembly or ECU.

2) As Itinerant suggested, clean the IACV.

3) Here's the proper procedure for setting the ignition timing:

Attachment 20886

ShadowHatch 04-12-2009 11:36 PM

Thank you RonJ. Ill post as i go along. Didn't mean too hijack the thread but my problem is similar and hopefully it will help someone else.

Lgbk 05-17-2011 01:08 PM

hello, i was having this same problem...and after reading this thread i removed and cleaned the IACV, however this only seemed to make the problem worse? so then went to auto parts store and got them to run the diag for it, and came up with it misfiring on all four cylinders, so i looked up the firing order for it and it appeared to be wrong as it was so i changed, now it wont start...this is my first honda and although i do know my way around a vehicle mechanically anything with this thing is greek to me...i have a 2000 civic EX with a 1.6 in it...any help would be greatly appreciated