Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bolt keeps spinning in place.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 PM
HCF Member
Default Bolt keeps spinning in place.

Got a 92 Civic with 224,000 miles(LX).
I'm trying to put my wheel hubs(and bearings) back on my Civic, but when I try to put the nut that belongs to the 3 bushings on the front control arms..the bolts just spin freely in place when I try to tighten them.

This seems usual (IMO) since ALL 3 bolts spin like this.
I have tried to google a solution and search on this forum but Nothing...

Can anyone help me out?

Any solution that doesn't have to do with grinding or drilling a hole in something is what I'm seeking...since I don't have a drill or grinder/saw.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you're talking about the nut on the lower ball joint, use a jack to push the control arm up and force the tapered part of the shank into the hole where it should stick enough to get the nut on.

Not sure why you would be taking the bushings out for a bearing job. Just remove the ball joints and the tie rod to take the knuckle off of the car.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

Well....pushed up the control arm with the jack to make the tapered part of the bolt flush with the hole(jack lifted all the way up)...Still spinning freely.
It turns out when I was banging the ball joint to free bolt(during replacement)..I also hit the threads of that very bolt....so that adds to why the nut can't get on.

Right now..I don't care if I can get the nut off when my car needs something later in the future..I just need to get it(the nut) on right now..I got work tomorrow.
I'll keep searching for answers and thinking on it....but I'm kinda stuck for now.

Last edited by Mecca8383; 11-30-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You will need to fix the threads, ideally this would be done with a threading die-- if not too severe you may be able to just grind away the damaged part at the end.

and you know what to do next time... when taking a ball joint off loosen but don't remove the nut until after it comes free-- leaving the nut on the end of the stud will protect the threads.

Last edited by mk378; 12-01-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

Well...just decided to get a new Lower Ball joint this weekend...the boot is busted anyway.
But TODAY I had to move my Civic over alittle because new people were moving in...SO I just put on the wheel(with the old ball joint still in place but no castle nut) and moved the car 5 feet back, while I was backing up I heard a loud scraping sound. Thought it was the rotors(since they been exposed to the rain for 3 days).
Then I noticed my car looked LOWER on the driver side(where I was doing work).

The wheels are not in contact with the wheel wells...and I also changed out BOTH my axles while I was doing the wheel bearings.
I've haven't had any issues with the springs or struts.

I remember I had to push the whole assembly into the upper control arm when reinstalling. Maybe that had an effect on the bushings?....IDK..?

Just wondering what do I check for next?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Of course, the weight of the car is pushing the lower control arm down (via the spring), whilst the road is pushing the wheel and knuckle upward. So the control arm is going to come off unless you have the nut in place. Most parts of a Civic are there because the car will not function at all without them.