Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Both front calipers sticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM
HCF Member
Default Both front calipers sticking

The front calipers are sticking on my friends '00 Civic EX.

The calipers are only a couple years old so I don't believe they are the problem. When I was using a C-clamp to push the pistons back in it didn't want to move much until I cracked the bleeder valve, then it went in easily, it was like this on both sides. Also when I first opened the bleeder valve a bit of fluid squirted out, like it was under pressure.

Bleeding the brakes took a very long time compared to what I have experienced in the past and not much fluid was coming out with each pump of the brake. The fluid was really nasty but I was able to get it all flushed out. It also took a long time for the brake pedal to pump back up after I was done.

I thought that maybe the MC was going bad but after reading I'm not sure this would cause the calipers to stick? The pedal has never gone to the floor and it feels fine other than being a bit touchy b/c the calipers are sticking.

So I was thinking either the flex lines (or hard lines) are blocked or possibly the proportional valve? Any thoughts?

Last edited by anibis; 04-16-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 PM

When you were compressing the brake piston, was the cap on the brake MC on or off? I can see it being a problem if it were on of course.

While bleeding the brakes it is normal (from what I have seen at least) to not see the brake pedal spring back up. That is due to a lack of pressure in the system.

Bleed the brake which is closest to the MC first and work your way to the farthest from the MC.

I doubt something is clogging up the Prop valve or lines. I am not ruling it out, but I have never seen or heard of that happening before.

Just to make sure I have this correct, you replaced the pads, bled the brakes, reinstalled everything and the brakes still do not have pressure in them?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

The MC cap was off, I've made that mistake before.

The brakes have pressure and work fine when you press the pedal, the prob is both calipers are sticking.

When bleeding there just wasn't much fluid coming out with each pump, much less than I experienced on my '05 Civic. Also when bleeding the pedal felt more firm than usual, it seems like the fluid isn't moving as freely as it should.

I was doing some research on the internet and found the flex lines can collapse that prevents the pressure inside the caliper from releasing all the way when you take your foot off the brake.

This car sat for a couple years and the fluid was BLACK when I flushed it. I'm just wondering if that may have effected the flex lines somehow.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM

That is a possibility (hoses being old etc etc) but I have never had to replace them for the past 10 years of owning Civics. Maybe I got lucky?

Was the silder bolt (Sry, I am horrible with terminology) removed and greased up with anti seize? There are little clips (should be 4 on each) on the calipers, were those reinstalled correctly?

I am not saying I have the solution for you, but I am just trying to get more info about the situation to see if any red flags are thrown up for me. I am sure someone else will chime in soon.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Make sure the master cylinder is returning to the full out position when no one is pressing the brake pedal. If it doesn't go all the way out, pressure will build up. The first thing to try is to loosen up the brake light switch some. You can also remove the cylinder and turn the rod on the booster in to make it shorter.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

The MC rod seems to be coming out all the way. I moved the brake sensor back a bit and it didn't make any difference. The MC is OEM.

I bled the brakes and could not get all the air out, I ran about 1/2 a L of fluid through the two front's and saw a steady stream of bubbles. I didn't bleed the back because they were rusted badly and I forgot my WD40, I didn't wanna break the valve off.

The brakes are dragging but you can still turn them fairly easily by hand. Rear brakes are not stuck at all. The car coasts okay and rolls when you release the brakes on an incline (its a stick). Stops normal, no hard or soft pedal. My friend doesn't have much money so I'm not gonna be **** like I would with my car.