Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Drag

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Default Brake Drag

Hey guys, new here and already need help with my car. It's a 93 SI, with disk brakes all around. My problem is that the brakes drag, but only on occasion. I'm familiar with the normal symptoms that cause brake drag; air in the lines, warped rotors, etc. The thing that's confusing me is that I can immediately pull the pedal up with my foot and the drag stops. I thought it might have something to do with the brake booster, or perhaps the master cylinder return spring. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem before and could shed some light on it.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the master cylinder off of the booster (which should be possible with hydraulic lines still connected) and see if there is an adjustable pin on the booster. If there is, adjust it shorter and reassemble. If that setting is not adjustable, try moving the booster stop (a nut on the pedal side of the booster) and/or the brake light switch so the pedal comes up a little higher to begin with. I think there is also a pedal return spring at the top of the pedal arm, having it broken would do that.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Take the master cylinder off of the booster (which should be possible with hydraulic lines still connected) and see if there is an adjustable pin on the booster. If there is, adjust it shorter and reassemble. If that setting is not adjustable, try moving the booster stop (a nut on the pedal side of the booster) and/or the brake light switch so the pedal comes up a little higher to begin with. I think there is also a pedal return spring at the top of the pedal arm, having it broken would do that.
Thanks! I'll check this first thing tomorrow. Assuming the seal is good on the master cylinder, removing it from the booster shouldn't cause any brake fluid to come out of that side should it? I suppose I'll be ready with a catch can, just in case.