Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Issue . Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 01:21 PM
HCF Member
Default Brake Issue . Help

So today i slammed on the brakes cuz some jag bag cut in front of me.. now everytime i come to a stop or am stopping behind a car or something the brakes sound like theyre grinding .. mostly on just one side of the car but idk.. before i thought i needed rotors but idk if i need rotors or pads or calipers or w/e. How do u check the brake line fluid .. is there a way? idk. I just dont want this to be that much money..

Old 05-12-2007, 01:24 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brake Issue . Help

For checking the brake fluid there is a resivoure(sp?) in the back of the engine bay for it, its the only on in the back it should be right in front of the driver seat. there will be a big round thingy attached to it and the firewall.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

o well then its not the fluid cuz i know thats good. so im guessing pads or rotors.. could it be anything else? i dont really know wut the calipers do

Old 05-12-2007, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

probably pads and rotors... there really isnt much else. that happened to me before and i had to replace the rotors because they were warped and pads becaused they were really scortched/ not much left. Check your rotors though, you may not need them. Does your car shake a little when you apply the brakes? If they dont, you might not need new rotors just pads. Even if it is just from one side you should change both of them.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

well i just picked up some autozone pads for 33 bucks all together including brake lube. He tried to sell me other stuff that i KNOW i didnt need so i was like dude.. dont even bother. Hopefully this cures the incessent grinding im hearing lately coming from my wheels when i brake. If not .. onto rotors.

Name:  Pad1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  113.8 KB

Name:  Pad2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  Pad3.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  99.9 KB

Old 05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

make sure you either get your rotors turned or get new rotors because new pads on old rotors dont go hand in hand

Old 05-12-2007, 10:39 PM
HCF Member

can i turn the rotors my self?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

you could turn them if you had a brake lathe.you could also bring them down to a local garage and they could probly turn them for you or just go out and buy new rotors.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

i would just get new rotor's rather then getting them turned, not much more maybe $50 for new front rotor's

Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 PM
HCF Member

Way back in 1966, I put new rotors and pads on my '65 Volvo. After a couple of thousand miles I checked the rotors. Theylookedthe same as the old rotors I had just replaced, pitted and streaked. Since then, unless the rotors were warped or thin, I have just replaced the pads. I have never had a problem doing this. In fact, when I have pulled the pads to check after a1000 miles or so the rotorsseemed to look better. I think the garage mechanics have a racket here. But please use your own judgement.

Quick Reply: Brake Issue . Help