Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake noises WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:40 PM
HCF Member
Default Brake noises WTF???

When I am riding along at no particular speed I get a high pitched squeak or rattle. When I hit the brakes it goes away. I am pretty sure it is brake related and I know I need some new pads and maybe rotors but will that get rid of the squeak?? How difficult is it to change out the rotors and pads. I saw the how to somewhere around here and it looks fairly simple and I am definitely a DIY kind of guy. I have done brakes on other rides but on those you had to get the rotors pressed in by a machine shop. Is this necessary on the Civic? BTW it's a 97 EX!!!

Old 12-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Default RE: Brake noises WTF???

no bearing pressing needed. and yes it prolly is the brakes, sounds like the squealers hitting. and iv never changed my pads n rotors, so i cant tell you exactly what is needed other then wrenches to remove the caliper and braket, slip joint pliers(or c clamp) to squeeze the caliper back in, a screwdriver to remove the rotor, a 18?mm soket to remove the lug nuts.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:40 AM
HCF Member

I got plenty of tools so thats all good. I can't believe the prices of the rotors I am finding. I am amazed they are so low. I love this car more everyday!!

Old 12-03-2005, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

mabey some dirt suck in there..thats weard how it would go away when you start to brake, iv never heard of that, mabey try to brake cleaner and if it dosent work or your pads are down and you need to do some DIY work, i would pick up a haynes repair manul and it will give you the low down on how to do it, for $20 (CAD) its a great investment

Old 12-03-2005, 01:25 PM

Ok .... if I can change the brakes and rotors.... anyone can. It's not that hard... just takes a little time. I think I had that sound with my old honda crx... and it was definately the brakes. Good luck and have fun learning!

Old 12-03-2005, 02:55 PM

try caliper cleaner. 6 bucks a can

Old 12-03-2005, 03:09 PM
HCF Member

that sounds like the problem I had with my 00 - LX........it turned out to be a piece of gravel from the driveway...got caught between the rotor and the back pl8.........removed the stone and everything was fine.

Old 12-03-2005, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

To removed the caliper you will need an allen wrench (not sure what size). Behind the caliper should be two srew holding it. Removed them using the allen wrench. The caliper should then just slide off you might also need to give it some force but it will come out eventually. As for the rotor I think that after taking the caliper off you should be able to just pull the rotor out. Again you might need to give it some force to get it out. It is also a good idea to use a c-clamp and clamp your pad and caliper piston together. Remeber to also hang your caliper so you dont damage the brake line.

Old 12-03-2005, 03:48 PM
mxs
HCF Member

an allen wrench??

I got a walnut stuck in my brakes a few weeks ago, and it made a hideous noise. [:@] If you've done brakes before, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck

Old 12-03-2005, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

I think that the caliper guide pins are regular bolts. I have seen Allen Key guide pins, but that has been on domestics. On my car, you just have to take out the lower guide pin and the caliper will flip up. Get a coat hanger to hang the caliper in the up position if thats how ur caliper works.

Quick Reply: Brake noises WTF???