Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake pedal travel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Default Brake pedal travel

Is bleeding my only means of taking some of the slack out of my pedal? While putting in new drums,shoes and springs, the wheel cylinder popped out, both ends spring and all. Of course spillng brake fluid everywhere. I put it back together and bled all the brakes. The pedal was totally stiff while bleeding, but returned to just as it had been(pretty slacky) before the brake job. Do I need to adjust the brake cable or brake light switch to take some of the slack out?

Old 01-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Brake pedal travel

Even dumb questions need answers sometimes! After a little thought, I realized that I neglected to refill the master cylinder between each line. Since my wheel cylinder came apart, it sucked up most of the fluid that was in there. So I bled them again, this time topping off the MC between each brake. Worked like a charm. What can I say, still a newbie! Geeeez, there's not even a brake cable in the car(except the parking brake!). Hope this helps someone out.